BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm interested in getting a spey setup. I already have a single handed 6wt setup, and i'm interested in getting a setup for larger/crazier fish like large carp and northern pike, and i would like to make that setup a spey setup. Anyways, people here recommend around 8-9wt for the pike and carp, but thats single handed wt, does that mean an 8-9wt spey would be comparable in terms of...uh...fighting? or could i go down to 7-8 or the likes? Any tips and info would be welcomed. thanks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
not totally answering your question, but I would say that a 7/8 spey would be more than ample for most pike scenarios...on the coast, people use 8/9 for average 10-15 pound+ steelhead in moving water. ...but let's wait and see what others say, too.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I agree - 7/8 would be more than adequate for pike etc. An 8/9 spey would be fair game for Chinook salmon as well, so it depends. If you plan on tossing really massive or heavy flies, or have to deal with lots of strong wind, then a spey rod in the 7-9wt range should do you well.

Then the next step is to fine tune what line is appropriate for your situation.

Another option is to look into a two handed surf casting rod. Looks like a spey rod, but much faster action, and perhaps more appropriate for your situation.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Would you be fishing from a boat or on shore? A spey set-up on a boat might be a bit awkward due to their size and mechanics of casting. From what I've read about carp fishing (keep in mind I've never done it before) is that presentation and 'stalking' fish is very important. A few article's i have read recommend that you should see fish before you cast. A blind cast and retrieve doesn't work as well. Make sure you do your research before picking up a spey set-up as you can easily pour lots of money into a beautiful rod that may not be the tool you want it too be. An option for you might be to go with an 11' switch rod. I have one of these and I absolutely love it. This would give you the option of doing either single of spey style casts (you'd need two line sets though). It can be a pain to cast single handed sometimes but you get used to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
most of my fishing (pretty much all.. for now) will be from shore. I actually have never seen a carp in the wild, and don't really know when i'll ever do it, but i still would like to try for them and the closest theyre supposed to be from Saskatoon is around an hour and a half drive, whereas pike are pretty close and plentiful. I too have heard that carp get spooked very very easily and most of it is up close stealth and stalking, so a spey rod would probably not work so well in this application. The waters i'll be fishing most are Diefenbaker(it might be known on this forum, its the place where the big rainbow in Saskatchewan came from) and a local water called Blackstrap reservoir. Diefenbaker has quite a lot of water, and i probably won't be getting a boat any time soon, so i wanted to get far casts to get to the more cold water where the big pike and rainbows are apparently hiding, same with Blackstrap(minus the rainbows, no rainbows in blackstrap).

·
Registered
513 Posts
To answer your first question, I would agree with btree, a 7-8 set-up should be fine for pike and bigger rainbows, could even be a bit heavy for them. I'd pick a rod that you enjoy to cast, this makes time out on the water so much nicer. See if you can get a few lessons first and test out some different rod weights, line set-ups and rod lengths and brands to see which you like more. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would look more into a Surf or Switch rod for your intended purpose as you will be beach casting on a lake and these can acheive very long casts quite easily and if your not doing "actual" spey casts then you only need a properly suited line for two handed overhead casting. I have a switch rod for river fishing(spey casts) and also have another lighter line which is suited for beach casting.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
In a perfect world I would say a #7 is ideal...8/9 is too much stick for those needs...a rod in the 12-13' range would be also ideal...in Europe there are many spey fishers using 13' rods for both Carp and big pike...the beauty of these rods is that they crossover onto larger rivers very well and are less difficult for novice casters to handle...we have a bunch of Spey Pike Lines sitting on the shelves that I would like to see how they worked...big teeth lines!
C
Hi, I'm interested in getting a spey setup. I already have a single handed 6wt setup, and i'm interested in getting a setup for larger/crazier fish like large carp and northern pike, and i would like to make that setup a spey setup. Anyways, people here recommend around 8-9wt for the pike and carp, but thats single handed wt, does that mean an 8-9wt spey would be comparable in terms of...uh...fighting? or could i go down to 7-8 or the likes? Any tips and info would be welcomed. thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts