BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the fish have magically vanished since sometime on the weekend :( Last week was epic, but now it seems to be over until more fish show up...

Went out today casted to empty water and asked around - nothing showing, only 1 fish caught in today and only one small school seen in the morning. Last week it seemed like you could have walked to the ligthhouse and back on jumping fish.

Heading out to a different spot tomorrow, and likely won't go back to the Clux until the next full moon to see if any fresh fish arrive.

Weather up here seems to be consistently foggy with low but steady breeze. Should be perfect fishing conditions...

·
Registered
77 Posts
We found the same thing btree. We fished Friday and Saturday both tides with respectful results, Sunday morning was good but that evening's high tide with all of the flotsom was a write off. Thankfully we hooked into a fish on Monday morning before getting on the road. Funny how its turns on and off up there. My flourescent green fuzzy fly seemed to work the best for me when the bite was on. What worked for you? You heading up for coho in September?

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be back in Nanaimo at school, so I'll be down south for Coho season, but I'll try off around Bowser and perhaps a couple other places close to Nanaimo in September.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It seems that the fish have magically vanished since sometime on the weekend :( Last week was epic, but now it seems to be over until more fish show up...

Went out today casted to empty water and asked around - nothing showing, only 1 fish caught in today and only one small school seen in the morning. Last week it seemed like you could have walked to the ligthhouse and back on jumping fish.

Heading out to a different spot tomorrow, and likely won't go back to the Clux until the next full moon to see if any fresh fish arrive.

Weather up here seems to be consistently foggy with low but steady breeze. Should be perfect fishing conditions...

Not sure of the extent of the truth of this...but one of the old timers that stays up there for a lengthly period over the summer told me that they had just opened up some commercial fishing in that area and that was why they "vanished" as they were either caught or chased south.
Who knows? All I know is, I'm glad I finally hit a fishery on a HOT time, rather than my typical days where the locals say "oh man, you should have been here yesterday" lol

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I too heard the rumour of the commercial opening. Popped in again today, made a bout 100 casts, saw one jumper. No fish caught, no one fishing at prime time 8pm - 9pm. My buddy was tossing buzz bombs in the afternoon and foul hooked on that got off, but he didnt see any fish and no one else was fishing, so there still must be some fish around, but not like it used to be. Let's hope this next full moon brings in one last push of fish.

Oh, and I guess the DFO reduced the limit from 4 to 1 fish at the clux :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts