BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to learn to tie flies recently and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i should get started with tying chronomids. Some questions i have are, will my 6/0 thread be to thick if i want to tie flies with sizes between 10-14, what sizes should i have a good selection of or start to learn with, what baisic materials should i have to start making my chronimid selection???
Thanks for any help!!

fisher4life

·
Registered
78 Posts
I found the Brian Chan Stillwater Fishing DVD had some good step by step instructions on how to tie Chronimids as well as some other usefull patterns.It was easy to follow along because you can see how it supposed to look after each step. As for materials, I went into M&Y and picked out some of patterns that I have had success with and asked what is needed :?:

Here are some of things that I picked up...

-Tungsten and white beads
-Flashabou red/black/chrome/brown
-copper/silver wire for ribbing
-white fluffly stuff for the gills :lol: (Cant remember the name)
-acetate or Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails nail polish for hardening

Hope that helps :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I mostly use 8/0 tying thread for tying my trout stuff, including chironamids. It helps to have a good quality bobbin to prevent frequent breakage when using fine tying thread.

I'm also a big fan of Acetate floss for chironamids. When dipped briefly in acetone, the acetate floss melts and forms a glossy hard plastic type material that will resist fraying. I can also get a nice taper to my flies this way. Experiment...there's a ton of ways to quickly tie these flies.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info!! All i need now, is money to make a trip to buy some materials :wink:

Thanks again

fisher4life

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stopped by reaction fly and tackle and looked at the possible body materials for chironomids and i couldnt help but think of questions and i want your help. Is there any advantages of using super floss over flashabou or vice versa? Or is it simply a matter of what colours are available. Is it possible to make a chironimid that is too skinning?

fisher4life

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys ought to try the new Micro Liquid Lace to tye your small Chironomids (www. Liquid Lace.com). There are several proven Patterns in Art Lingren's new book "Contemporary Fly Patterns of British Columbia". All of the Liquid Lace Patterns are tyed by Herman Fischer of Kamloops who was the BC Fly tyer of the year in 2003 and look great. This book highlights some of the best fly tyers in Canada.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts