BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a little clarification on chronimid technique(s). My tying instructer told me that one should use different coloured chronies at different depths. I can't recall which exactly but I believe it was something like red closest to bottom or 40 feet plus, copper in mid-depths 20 feet to 40 feet and those with simulated gills (whites) nearest the top 20 feet and up. I'm looking at employing these techniques in a number of places Van Island, Lower Mainland and Kamloops area and would like to know what your experiences have been fishing chronies and any helpful tips. I've read The Gilly and its sections on chronimid techniques but have never really tried out fishing them. I understand that the colours will vary species to species and area to area but a few pointers would be really helpful.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i personally find the size of the chronie more important then the color. People seem to have such a mystique to chronie fishing but it is one of the easiet ways to catch trout. one foot off the bottom.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I can't agree totally with Eric. Size seems to be the most important factor after placement in the water column. You can't ignore colour tho'. I have seen times when tghe trout would only hit a certain colour when all other factors the same. As to the variations in colour for depth, I have never heard that. I always fish choronimids on a floating line and so I never fish more than 25' leaders. I use the same chronie regardless the depth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another option would be to carefuly stomach pump a caught fish. Although you do have to catch one first, which is at times easier said than done, this will be by far the best way to determine both size and colour. I agree with Prof, I've never heard of the depth and colour thing being an issue. Just be concerned with the depth to the bottom, as ideally your chronnie should be as close as possible to the bottom before you either slowly retreive or just dangle an indicator.
I look at it this way- I've had 10-15 fish days chronnie fishing using several different colours and have seen other people be even more successful. So even if this colour to depth theory were true, what difference would that make? 3-5 fish? How many fish can one catch from sun- up to sun-down?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had to pick one, I'd choose matching color over size. However I find more times than not, you have to be bang on for both to have sucsess. I agree a careful throat pump can prove valuble.
Knowing the depth I'm fishing is always my first step when I fish chironys. Starting at the bottom, working my way up the water column until I get results. I also rarely fish more than a 15 foot leader. Any deeper and it's chironomids off a full wet line. Red is a popular chioce when starting near the lake bottom. This color can represent blood worms. Over the past few years I've been tinkering with using more flashy patterns. Kind of spin offs of the Chromie. Just in different colors. The results have been pretty good.

Finder;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Size, Size, Size.
I have found over the years this is more important than anything else.
Color is next.
And the depth is of great importance too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts