BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to tie a chironomid on a short hook so that the body is essentially the "tail" on the fly and not on the hook? I was thinking about this as chironomids seem to snap their bodies to try and swim, so a body not tied on the shank would offer more movement. Something like white floss marked with black permanent marker (segments) tied in at the tail with the standard herl and bead head on the hook shank. Anyone tried anything like this on fish with any success?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Hey mc - Chironomids snap back and forth for a few seconds, then hang virtually motionless and verticle for a much longer time. I believe it is this vertical (and much more prevalent) pose that trout see most and is therefore much more imporftant to imitate. What you propose would likely not result in greater motion in the fly, but would prevent that vertical presentation. On the other hand, you might just be right, so give it a try and let us know how you fare.

G

·
Something I have heard of in regards to Chironimid tying and the swimming effect is continuing the wrap down around the hook bend towards the barb. When it is being retrieved the hook can rotate slightly around the shank's long axis and thereby appear as though there is some side to side tail movement. As Prof noted, this will prevent the vertical resting pose of the Chironimid unless viewed from directly above or below the hook. I have heard it stated that this method of tying can lead to fewer missed takes (specifically the softer takes) as the trout tries to envelope or sip the entire fly with its mouth and therefore is more likely to become hooked. This point however is useless if the fly's form/profile leads to more trout avoiding it rather than taking it.

When in doubt, tie up a couple with your proposed method, mine and prof's and see which one works best. Oh, and be sure to report back and share your findings so the rest of lazy gits can profit off your hard work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts