BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what this monster is?? he crawled out of a pool a 2 hr walk up a boat acsess river . never seen one before. he flys to!

Attachments

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Yeah, this is a Giant Water Bug.

Often confused for a cockroach or a beetle, but they're not.

I've caught them a number of times as well, back in '04 I was curious what they were so I searched them out with my own pictures:

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Sorry, I should have also mentioned that they can deliver a seriously nasty bite if you scare or threaten them, so be careful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They are also known as "Toe Biter" - for reasons which become apparent when you have a close look at their piercing mouth parts!

The first one I ran across had those parts buried deep in a 2 1/2'' long dragonfly nymph (which up until then I had thought was the top insect predator in our local lakes) and was busy draining the last of it's enzyme digested innards.

A week later I saw my first predatious diving beetle and realized there are some big, ugly monsters living in our waters! I wonder if they are ever taken by larger trout, or if they would just be more trouble than they are worth?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys....i looked it up.giant water bug...real tec name eh? and toe biter and the electric bug. my boys took it to school today and we are going to put in the lake tank at the still water house.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
They are also known as "Toe Biter" - for reasons which become apparent when you have a close look at their piercing mouth parts!

The first one I ran across had those parts buried deep in a 2 1/2'' long dragonfly nymph (which up until then I had thought was the top insect predator in our local lakes) and was busy draining the last of it's enzyme digested innards.

A week later I saw my first predatious diving beetle and realized there are some big, ugly monsters living in our waters! I wonder if they are ever taken by larger trout, or if they would just be more trouble than they are worth?
It was about 8 years ago that I saw my first Predacious Diving Beetle (Tiger Beetle) in the stomach of a large trout and had no idea what it was but saved it and showed it to Brian Chan and he told me. Scary creatures for sure!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I saw one of these guys this weekend fishing a small lake in whistler. My girlfriend and I were shore casting dry flies for small rising rainbows in the late evening after a nice sit down dinner in the village. It was just turning about turning dusk and several bats started coming out and were grabbing insects out of the air. I remarked to my girlfriend, wouldn't it be funny if a bat went after the fly on the water? Not a moment after I had said this three bats in quick succession took diving runs and my small parachute adams. The third one pushed the fly underwater and I thought for sure I'd hooked it, luckily that wasn't the case. Thinking this was a sure sign that I should pack it in, I pulled the fly out of the water with a quick back cast and caught the fly. Only on the rods was back I was sure I had hit something. I motion in the water caught my eye and I saw what looked to be a small black creature flopping round in the water. I thought I must have hit a bat and knocked it into the water. I couldn't reach it right away with my net but I managed to pull it closer to me with a loop of fly line. I netted it and was shocked to find it wasn't a bat but a Giant Water Bug! I put the net down on the dock as my girlfriend asked what was it was, I promptly replied "Honey you're not going to like this one!". I had read this post just prior to heading to whistler, otherwise I would have had no idea what this thing was. You don't really get a sense of how big they are until you have seen one up close.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts