BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone here has developed or knows of a good pattern for the brook stickleback, I would appreciate some help on tying one. We have a local lake with rainbow up to 19 pounds that prefer the little dickens. Most of these minnows I have collected were around 1.5 inches in length this summer but am having a real issue with tying a productive fly. There are also brook Char in the same lake up to 5 pounds that love them.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
A rolled muddler is a stickleback pattern.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another awesome stickleback/fathead pattern is the 'crystal-minnow'. You can find the pattern in Bob Sheedy's Top 50 Fly Patterns (along with many more fish-catching less angler-catching flies, and some great humour).

Check out the 'Improved Diefenbaker' (scroll down about 2/3) as well. I've had great luck tying them with a spun deerhair head and fished with an intermediate line.
Thanks Andy. Had a good look at the Improved Diefenbaker. Have not got Bob Sheedy's book but will look for it at the library here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a really good one that I used in a well known lake for cutties.
They normally go after salmon fry in this lake, but it was June and most of the fry were gone.
I noticed a bunch of sticklebacks that looked like a fly I tied, tried it and BAM! Tonnes of cutties, pikeminnow and even whitefish smashing it.

I would post a pic but can't do a link till I have 5 posts.
It's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and blackish colour on top...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a really good one that I used in a well known lake for cutties.
They normally go after salmon fry in this lake, but it was June and most of the fry were gone.
I noticed a bunch of sticklebacks that looked like a fly I tied, tried it and BAM! Tonnes of cutties, pikeminnow and even whitefish smashing it.

I would post a pic but can't do a link till I have 5 posts.
It's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and blackish colour on top...
Thanks Stoney Creek. I am looking forward to seeing your pattern as well.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Platte River Spider

One of the best Stickleback patterns I have ever used is the Platte River Spider. When this fly gets wet it is very life like, works like a charm! :)

638.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anything with a mallard flank wing in natural, olive, wooduck, grey and a pearl or silver tinsel/tubing body with or with out 1.5mm eyes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What about the Haig-Brown stickleback pattern?

Here's my version.

Hook: Low water salmon
Tail: Claret hackle fibers
Body: Light green or blue wool
Rib: Oval silver tinsel
Throat: Claret hackle
Wing: Orange, blue, green and yellow polar bear.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As usual Lucky, your tie is super, and I had not thought of looking for it in the Haig-Brown flies.
Hmnn...now I will have to try out JohnK's recipe for dying some polarbear hair...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stoney Creek. Hope to see your pattern posted soon as well. Also the Platte River Spider looks great, RickB

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rick, where would I find a pattern for the PRS. It looks like it would work.
Thanks,
NG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Rick, thats one I'll chase down.
NG

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well here is my pattern....

The big one on the bottom is the one I use to imitate stickleback on the lake I fish.
Seems to work really well, could probably add in spines as well if you wanted.

PM me for recipe, it is on another site that I probably shouldn't post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts