BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to all...

Santa was very good to me and I am now the proud owner of a Outcast Super Cat LCS,a very nice upgrade from the old reliable Caddis doughnut.

Iv'e been reading that I should probably invest in something in the breathable variety of waders,as the seating position is quite high with the new boat(ie only area below knees will be in the water:yeah:.Will still keep the neoprenes,for early in the season-late season ice off fishing.But I suspect the neop will be just simply be too hot for the bulk of the mid spring-thru summer early fall stillwater fishing that I will do this year. Looking for some brand advice and what I should be looking for quality wise $ 250.00-$ 300.00 range any ideas.

As for fishing trips already planning for fishing in the 100 mile area Donelly lake area(hike in) Irish Lake to name a few:thumbsup:Also figure will go up this weekend and stare in the hole cut in the ice at Irish and Horse lake for lakers:cheers:will send in a fishing report next week.

Look forward to any and all replies

Have A safe and Healthy New Year Everyone:cheers:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Breatheables

Can't say enough about Simms.
Been very good.
Hodgman guide series lasted about the same.
Both excellant.
Do a bit of searching, I believe there is another good thread on this.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Snowbee Prestige

The best and most durable waders I have ever owned are the Snowbee Breathables...and I have owned every brand except the Simms G4's.
Of course I am now somewhat biased but it took me a lot to trust in any wader..period
And of course there are some great deals on these waders ...
nilecreekflyshop.com
C
How about a pair with a zip front for peeing???

G

·
Also you might want to consider Patigonia's. I just got a pair and for they are great and comfortable but do lack some of the nice features of the Sims but have a great Warranty.

G

·
my reddingtons have been holding up for the past year.I use them every few days and do alot of hiking and salt fishing.low cost too

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If I was to go out in a u-boat or a belly boat, I would not use breathables, neo's are much better suited for that purpose. Breathables are not designed for that kind of use!! Breathables we designed for anglers who are fishing from the shore line and are moving around from location to location. In the past when there was only neo's it would be very hot and neo's and heat dont mix unless you are in a float tube. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I agree- I have only used Neos for both wading and tubing. They are too warm and bulky for wading, especially in the summer months- so I tend to go with shorts.

For tubing, I've never been too warm with neos, even in the Okanogan and West Koots during 30C+ weather in the summer. As long as you are waist deep in water, you'll stay cool.

On the flip side, if you are say doing a hike for a click or two into a secret lake with your tube on your back, you might want the Gore-tex since it's much lighter and you can stuff them into the back of your vest or that big back rest thing on the tube. Neos take up a lot of room when packing them.

Too many things to consider if you want to get specialized. I'd say it would be worth having a set of each...but that's a bit of cash to lay out.

Anyone hand much success with re-taping the seams on Neos?

I've tried the usual silicone and shoe-goo with mixed results. I've yet to try re-taping, but I have tried duc-tape- it didnt work, it just stuck to me and pulled off the inside of the waders.

My neos are from 1995 and need a big re-taping in both feet and the crotch, but if it's a lost cause, then I'll keep them as a wet-suit for my belly boat and get a set of gore-tex ones for the river. I dont mind getting wet as long as I'm warm.

any who....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reply to neop/vrs breathables

If I was to go out in a u-boat or a belly boat, I would not use breathables, neo's are much better suited for that purpose. Breathables are not designed for that kind of use!! Breathables we designed for anglers who are fishing from the shore line and are moving around from location to location. In the past when there was only neo's it would be very hot and neo's and heat dont mix unless you are in a float tube. :2cents:
Just trying to figure out when weather gets very warm,what should one do?? I guess wear something lightweight under neath to prevent chaffing ??:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Just trying to figure out when weather gets very warm,what should one do?? I guess wear something lightweight under neath to prevent chaffing ??:confused:

Merino wool or polypro/underarmour long undies work well. Polypro stinks up fast, but merino wool does not get that rank rotten sweat smell.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Underwater

Many people don't realize that "breathable" waders do not breath underwater. So,if you are sitting in a cold body of water,temperature colder than your own you will have perspiration occuring somewhere . Breathables are great for Lakes and Ocean if you use correct under garments and "Wader Fresh" is always close by.At least you can dress down for breathables more easily than Neo's. But I must say,even that is changing ...I have a pair of new Snowbee Neoprene waders ariving soon with a Zip Front feature..So cooling down and venting excess miosture is going to be much easier...even in the Winter.
C

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would give these a shot:

http://www.redington.com/prod.php?k=62166&p=RDT5-WD005&u=WD005

Just picked up a pair before Christmas, havent had a chance to field test them yet, but, they seem to be very well built.

Dean
Have you had a chance to field test them yet?

My $100 waders had an accident and are not repairable (don't ask) so I'm in the market for a new set. I've got $300 to spend, give or take, including tax and the Redingtons look like the way to go. How do they fit, are they waterproof, do they breath, etc, etc. The more info I can get, the better!

I'm leaning towards getting the CPX zip-front, but in the interest in saving money (to purchase real wading boots), I'd be willing to get the regular CPX.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I'm also looking at this issue - spend less $ on a regular set of breathables (non-zip front) so I can afford to get other gear, or bite the bullet and get what I really want = zip fronts.

I'm willing to bet that the extra 100$ for zip fronts is well worth it and I'm not going to make that compromise, but I already have a nice set of wading boots...but I do have a few rods and reels on my list...plus lines... and gas to get to some rivers and lakes... and beer money... and more hooks to tie flies...etc...etc...etc.

It seems the "wants" list never ends. I'll end up spending the money on something eventually...

Like I said, I'm going with what I want - zip fronts - so that I dont have to regret buying something that "will do" but realize the pain of getting nearly undressed every time I want to take a piss. I've gotten in the habit of drinking a lot of coffee in the early AM and drinking the odd beer in the PM while fishing which leads to pee...and time spend taking off my vest, un-layering, rolling down the waders and then getting dressed again after. I'd much rather just un-zip and go...also much less of a panic if you really gotta go after you've held it for just a few more casts!!!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Have you had a chance to field test them yet?

My $100 waders had an accident and are not repairable (don't ask) so I'm in the market for a new set. I've got $300 to spend, give or take, including tax and the Redingtons look like the way to go. How do they fit, are they waterproof, do they breath, etc, etc. The more info I can get, the better!

I'm leaning towards getting the CPX zip-front, but in the interest in saving money (to purchase real wading boots), I'd be willing to get the regular CPX.
For years I fought the pressure to use boot foot waders...now that I have there is a total appreciation of Boot foots in relationship to warmth and comfrot...the Zip front is a bonus...that we use a lot...
Snowbee has all these waders available...even a Neoprene Zip Front for all the serious winter steelheaders .
C

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Snowbee has all these waders available...even a Neoprene Zip Front for all the serious winter steelheaders .
C
At Snowbee prices, I'd miss my next mortgage payment. Like I said, I only want to spend $300.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
At Snowbee prices, I'd miss my next mortgage payment. Like I said, I only want to spend $300.
On occasion the Snowbee site lists these waders at what I recall as some where about a 40-60% discount...not sure what they go for in Canada (or in Nile Creek ;)), but surely there are other waders out there with zip front and comfy, warm feet that arent in the same price bracket as the Simms...

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
FFBC Special

I tell you what...if we can find 6 members to step up for a purchase of Snowbee Prestige Breathable Zip Front Waders...Stockingfoot...it's $275 for members only!Thats 40% off approx. ...This is the same deal I offer all the Hatchery volunteers...here on the Island, Alberta and Ontario. These people do such a great job for our benefit.
SO if someone can get this to happen you can all pee with eezzz...Rain or shine
C

1 - 20 of 29 Posts