BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever fish for ground fish off the beaches.
By this I mean pretty much anything other than salmonids.
Perch, flounder, cabazon etc.
I know a couple of guys who target all sorts of different species to lenghthen the season and fishing opportunites.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pike Minnows? lol I hate it when you fish cutts and end up hooking into some off of glo bugs :) but at least they fight....once the harrison river cutthroat go bye bye, we'll all be fly fishing for pike minnows! :)

Mike <")))))><

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Pike Minnows? lol I hate it when you fish cutts and end up hooking into some off of glo bugs :) but at least they fight....once the harrison river cutthroat go bye bye, we'll all be fly fishing for pike minnows! :)

Mike <")))))><
did I miss some part of this thread??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dunno prof? I thought that pike minnows were bottom fish? ahhhhh phearless must be talking ocean....sorry my bad lol...just like in school gotta read things thoroughly eh? lol

Mike <")))))><

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have caught rock cod while fishing off the rocks on incoming tide. Anything big and squidy or fishy like string leech or intruder or epoxy stuff.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what's this thing?

One of the fun things about the beach is you really never know what you may hook.
I have gotten black bombers off kelp beds, coho, kelp greenling and I am pretty sure it was a ling cod that I lost once as well. These were all out of a boat around kelp.
I know there are areas where you can get all these species off the beach or headlands if you do a little homework.
Cutties, coho, pinks, dollies and one spring are all species I have hooked off the beach for salmonids. Starry flounder, bullheads, perch and cabazon have been incedentals.
Can't wait to get out again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i went to texada and fished a led core with a large pink intruder that was tied by bc speys . i took the ferry over in the morning with my spey in hand ,and fished by the dock where there was a step drop off to 30-40 feet with a rip rap all along the wall of the parking lot. i have caught lings here a long time ago and some where a good size! within moments of getting down i was into a fish that i soon lost. bam! on went the steel leader and over the next few hrs i landed 2 small lings and lost several good size fish. i think that this summer i might try this more often . it was a existing fishery and good action . i can think of a few good spots that drop of fast and there are lots of small lings around . what a blast!:beerchug:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Floundering for flounder

Sometimes when i'm up in Port Hardy for work i go to some of the inlets and fish on the beaches or rocky points for bottom fish. I've not done it enough to have an exact successful formula, and success has been varied but i've pulled up a few nice flounder, dabs, cabezon etc. usually on a chartreuse clouser or christmas tree. One of the main things i like about it is the lottery feeling when you hook something... feels like a ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts