BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonefish fishing in Cuba! I recently returned from a vacation in Cuba where I arranged a day of fishing for bonefish near the Zapata Peninsula. My wife and I were staying in Veradero a popular resort area at an all inclusive hotel. I tried to negotiate two days of fishing but could not coerce my wife to leave the five star comfort of our hotel. The arrangements for the fishing included picking my wife and me up at the hotel by Felipe who drove us the 140 km to Playa Larga where we met the fishing guide Julio. Then we traveled 20 km down a dirt road to the fishing area. I arranged a second boat and guide to “carry” my wife. As you can see in the pictures the boats are small. I brought my own fishing gear my 8wt Sage and my G Loomis adventure fly reel loaded with 8 wt Scientific Anglers dry Line and 10 foot 12 lb tippet (with lots of 30 lb backing you will need it). The gear I used was the same as I use for steelhead on our many local rivers. I tied a few dozen flies to prepare for the trip. The picture below is the one and only fly I used for the bonefish. It is essentially a Crazy Charlie tied up with bead chain eyes, pearl mylar under body and tail, pearl diamond braid body, tan mallard flank legs topped with a bit of crystal flash on a size 2 or 4 saltwater hook; a very simple and easy to tie fly. Well it took me a bit to figure out how to catch these elusive shy fish but within the first hour I managed to hook up.

Once we found the bonefish the action was pretty fast. I made many mistakes with noise, stripping and cast placement that are all critical successfully catching these fish. My guide Julio was very intense and corrected my technique throughout the day. The end of the day was fun and I finally fooled two of the larger bone fish in the 4 to 4.5 lb range. Both these fish took me well into my backing with over 200 meter runs. So, I would probably have to say these little fish pound for pound out match our beloved steelhead; but don’t match the excitement or aerobatics of a fresh steelhead.

A couple of important notes to finish the story: The day of fishing was my wife’s favourite day; as we experienced the “real Cuba” spending time with the local guides and seeing local communities. So guys out there trying to arrange a similar trip can use my experience to help convince our other halves, unless of course they fish. Also, the guides I managed to find who arranged my day of fishing were professional, specialized and trustworthy. The guides also do trips for snook, permit, tarpon and jack crevalle; they also appear happy to accommodate a “mixed bag” fishing trip. I can provide plenty more information so if you have any questions send me an email and I can help you contact the guides or potential accommodation in the region [email protected] . (by Jack Love from Smithers)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey I'm headed to veradero in January. I was disappointed when I read about the lack of fishing in close proximity. How much did the excursion cost you? Do you have this "Julio's" contact information?

Thanks!

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Great post. Thanks for sharing your guided experience. I sure there are loads of people on this forum who want to take a similar trip.

Regarding posting photos, you want to click the community tab in the orange bar, select photo gallery, then in the green bar on the far right side click upload photos. Select the files you wish to upload and following the instructions.

Once the photo is uploaded, click the photo, scroll down, and you'll see a series of links. I always chose the medium image, copy and paste that into the thread that you are creating and presto.

If you're having trouble loading them, they may be to large. To solve this just go into photo editing software and crop the photo down a bit.

Hope that helps. Any other troubles just fire me a message.

Scott.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, i had similar frustrations trying to find fishing contacts out of Varadero, The cost was 200 Convertable pesos so about 200 CAD per day, but well worth it. I have the fellow who arranged the fishing for me the phone number at home and will bring it in tomorrow. He is on face book look up Felipe Alonso Rodriguez. Julios english was a bit week so Felipe does the translation. My wife came along in a different skiff and that added about 180 $ the total day charge was about 450 including a rental car transportation from our hotel. The area is also famous for Bird watching I will try to upload a pic of the fly i used.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Excellent report.

Lucky you!

I'm in the middle of planning a bonefish trip for next year. Not sure if I want to hit Pacific Bonefish or Caribbean Bonefish. I was hoping to do Cuba in February, but the cost of getting there from Oz is huge!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were you able to track down Felipe on facebook i forgot to bring in the phone number

Hey I'm headed to veradero in January. I was disappointed when I read about the lack of fishing in close proximity. How much did the excursion cost you? Do you have this "Julio's" contact information?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts