BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at a lake 2 weeks ago for the weekend and found the fish stomachs where full of bloodworms. i got some awsome bloodworm patterns from a guy staying with us and they worked awsome. anyway, im going there again in 2 weeks and im wondering if bloodworms are a year round thing and can be fished during the summer? thanks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i was at a lake 2 weeks ago for the weekend and found the fish stomachs where full of bloodworms. i got some awsome bloodworm patterns from a guy staying with us and they worked awsome. anyway, im going there again in 2 weeks and im wondering if bloodworms are a year round thing and can be fished during the summer? thanks.
A lot depends on the waterbody you are fishing but, yes, for the most part you can fish bloodworms right up until ice-up. If the lake you are fishing has active inflows or outflows you can do quite well targetting these areas. Why? The movement of water in or out of the lake creates a current on the bottom pulling the chironomid larvae out of the mud. Due to having density slightly more than water it takes the poor swimming bloodworms forever to once again find the safety of the mud.

At Tunkwa/Leighton, the farmers draw down Leighton for irrigation and in order to fill Leighton back up the the dam in Tunkwa is opened up periodically which creates the current which in turn pulls the larval tubes out of the mud. When the fish key in on this they are usually stacked up in water you would think too warm and shallow for midsummer but they can't resist and the fishing can be fast and furious.

In late September to early October all bloodworms (chironomid larvae) emerge from the mud to migrate to the deepest parts of the lake for the winter and this is, without a doubt, my favourite time to fish bloodworms. You can fish bloodworms under an indicator just off the bottom in 5-6' of water and stay busy for the better part of a cool crisp fall day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts