BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pink Salmon have been off Nile Creek since the 6th of July and are now arriving in very good numbers...the tides this week have been Ideal for those willing to venture out at 5am til about 8:30am..the low tide has produced some excellent conditions for fly casters..the down side is trying to get these great fighters past the weed beds...
This morning the bite stayed on well into the morning and this usually means that there are plenty of fish about...
Great conditions
C

·
Registered
63 Posts
Was out the last couple days and the fishing was great, pinks are starting to school up at certain times and areas. One pleasant surprise I had was catching a jack Coho which blew me away cause it seems pretty early!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Stop!!! You're both making me jealous :( Hopefully I'll be hitting a beach up here tomorrow if the chiropractor can fix my back. I wasn't planning on fishing for pinks until mid Aug but with the folks on the Campbell standing elbow to elbow, I definitely need to get away from that gong show...it's not good for my blood pressure, lol.

Thanks for the pic C. If all goes well I'll be down that way Tues or Wed if you're not too busy ;)

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,fishing has been good...was out again this morning ,unfortunately I had a small Spey Casting Clinic at 5am til 7am ,was able to leave them and hed to the fish...what really inspired me the most was to see so many fly fishers using small Two Handers effectively at Nile Creek...the fish don't like that ,however,getting fruit from everyones hard work is what it is all about. You might ask "why a Switch or Spey rod? ..it's not totally necessary but when the North West winds begin to blow and the fish are holding 100 feet out the answer is obvious to those not catching fish. My typical set-up is a Beulah Surf rod and the matching Elixir Switch line...simply sweet.
DO drop by...the best fly(for me) has been the Purple Handle bar with achartreuse green thread head...although the Pink Handle Bar is a clearly close second as is the Pink Fuzzy. Another good patetrn to use at the Nile Creek area is the Green HAndle Bar with the Fl. Yellow Bead head...but any pink fly put in front of the Salmon will likely insight a strike thios young in the season...later we will have to sharpen our skills and go smaller with a very slow retreive or a dead drop drift!
Tight Lines
C

·
Registered
63 Posts
Went on saturday, it was dead! started at around 6:00 and fished till 10:00 and lost 1 in that time. The consensus seemed that with the full moon it may have helped the fish feed through the evening, resulting in some bloated bellies that weren't interested in anybody's flies. Just a theory, anybody else have a guess why? Also are there any pinks in Nanoose bay? And when do they typically start showing up in departure bay?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Went on saturday, it was dead! started at around 6:00 and fished till 10:00 and lost 1 in that time. The consensus seemed that with the full moon it may have helped the fish feed through the evening, resulting in some bloated bellies that weren't interested in anybody's flies. Just a theory, anybody else have a guess why? Also are there any pinks in Nanoose bay? And when do they typically start showing up in departure bay?
If I remember correctly, there was a thread about this last year and pinks don't feed during migration. They bite out of aggression (territorial). Maybe there just weren't any fish there.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lots of Pinks

Yes,the full moon does have an impact on any fish regardless of life cycle...there are lots of Pink Salmon at Nile Creek especially holding off the mouth of the creek...the fellows in the Pontoon boat,Kayaks and so on did very well. The higher the sun,warmer the water the less fish bite near the beach...it is a predator thing.
This morning it was good again...in 2 miles of beach there were likely 1 dozen fly fishers and several fishers using water floats...I have to say the fishing is off because of the heat and high sun...when you see a slight chop on the water you will also see the fish come in closer....
The schools of fish are growing everyday..
Nanoose bay doesn't get a run of Pink Salmon...you should see some Pinks in Nanaimo Harbour any day now..watch for regulation changes there....
Oyster Estuary is also not showing too many Pinks yet....it is afterall a bit early...although both Nile Creek and the Campbell /Quinsam fish are early..
C View attachment 1629 View attachment 1628 View attachment 1626 View attachment 1627

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hitting the Oyster estuary this afternoon and we'll let you know how it goes.

Nice pics C! The smile on that child's face is priceless (and some nice gear for a 5 year old, lol). Since I've never fished the Nile estuary, where can I get beach access? I'm not asking where to fish, just how to get onto the beach...I don't want to be walking through someone's backyard, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to confess...I have a real soft spot for kids that are fishing..as a rule I always will look about to find a youngster so I can give them a fish to play if I have One on...so yes,he was playing that fish on my Beulah Surf rod...
Access to Nile Creek is very good and public...simply arrive at the creek on the old Island Highway(19A) and turn towards the water(100 yards-meters for you younger fly fishers)...it can get busy with beach users . You can also access it via what we call the Powerline road,situated about 200 meters north of NIle Creek itself...this brings you also to the water and great access....
Fish move all about this area ,at time they are to the north of the creek mouth and thenm to the south...watch for Jumpers and seals
C

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for the directions C. I'll check Google earth as well, to make sure I get the right spots.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
There were still some left at nile last year, but they were getting pretty coloured up by then. You might be able to luck out with some early coho though, and of course the cutties are usually about.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I won't be in the area until end of August, looks like I am going to completely miss the Pink fishing this year. =(
Ben is right,there will likely be many fish still about...in teh past few days many fish arrived off the coast again...it seems like all along the coast this year the Pinks are showing up in smaller groups istead of all at Onec like last year...this will likely add to the length of the season. WHat I have unfortunately noticed this year on fish from north Of Port McNeil to Nile Creek are the numbers of Sea Lice present.Disturbing for sure,,,you must remember that many of these fish are migrating directly through the Broughton Region...in smaller groups,this may be a factor in them picking up these critters.
C

·
Registered
424 Posts
Very disturbing indeed, hopefully it isnt anything but a coincidence and not an increase in sea lice

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have also noted these on Fish on the Eve River system this season, the impact on mature fish is slight, the concern is of course elsewhere...last years Pink Salmon run was one of Historic numbers and smack dead centre on the Broughton Archipelico,so obviously the impact on Pinks in this system is minimal...until who knows when,,,With so much crap going on between the feed companies,Government know nothings and scientists all we seem to be able to do again is wait and watch..
I have taken a photographic record of the fish I have seen affected already and will continue to do so.since the Coho are now beginning to show up off Nile Ceeek we will begin to see these fish as well.. For everyone's info...there are huge schools of Pink Salmon off the beaches of Nile Creek and these fish are very catchable...get out there and participate
C
I didn't think that the lice were an issue with mature fish, only the smolts. I can see a problem for next season's out-migration, if there is a proliferation of them courtesy of the 'farm pens'. If you're concerned about this issue, be sure to sign the petition started by Alexandra Morton. http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dElVTFY0d1JqMGRYR2F6Vnp3QjEzRnc6MQ#gid=0

·
Registered
513 Posts
How has the beach fishing been as of late? I'm thinking of heading up to the Nile creek area the weekend after this coming one (21-22). Any clues to how the fishing will be then? Should I set my sights on early coho and cutties or do I have a shot at a few good pinks?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't know about two weeks from now, but I'm heading down tomorrow and I'll post a report. I want to be on the water by 0730.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How'd it go? I missed heading out a couple weeks ago but am back on the Island and thinking of heading up in the next couple of days.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts