BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ongoing dilema of finding that perfect line is never ending for sure. And I am speaking for both Single Handed and Spey casters. However, for the past 4-5 months we have seen an ever increasing awareness of the incredible fishability of Beulah's Elixir Switch Lines matched to your favorite Poly Tip...yes a Poly Tip...from Floating to fast sink ,typically in lengths from 10-15 feet,although I myself find the 14' Fast Sink a bit heavy for most casters.
These lines have been ,and should be fished with 7-9 weight Single handed rods,and of course Switch and Small Spey rods..
Absolutley incredible for Underhand ,Spey Casts and of course for overhead casts.
You will hear the word "WOW' everytime a new caster picks these up!
For Overhead casting they are OK if your are only casting 70-80 feet;but will collapse during a very long distance cast of 100 feet or more.. This is likely because the head and tip are short and heavy,resulting in a Gravity to line speed issue! But who cares when you can have so much fun and fish where you want to!

·
Registered
350 Posts
beulah lines

Nice review, I was wondering if you have any experience with beulah's skagit type head, the TONIC. Want to try one on my 11 foot 6wieght switch rod 'cause I see that they come in some pretty line grain wieghts.
thanx,
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tonic Lines

Hi Brian...
The new Tonic lines are not quite ready....,,,,I have been working with several of them,the protypes and really like them...however there was a problem with the front loops being too large and some of the lines tapers were inaccurate....a few more tweeks and they will be ready...
The Tonic lines have a very short belly about 24' and a nice running line a bit larger diameter than most..it seems to really help with the drift and hang time....I too am excited to work with these lines on teh smaller Switch rods and single handed rods able to manage the weight!
Keep in touch and will let you all know
C

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Well, after having felt the luxury of the Elixer on that 12'6" spey I'll certainly be getting that line for my 8wt single hander. Would the 36' 520grain work with my spey 1308?

I still cant believe the difference in how your set up felt compared to what I was using! Effortless, light yet powerful...mind you, that wee bucktail fly I put on that stump on the other side of the river certainly was not a dumbell eyed sparrow. Every tool has it's application I guess thought- I guess that's why they make a skagit too...

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 520 will be perfect for that rod...but even the Elixirs will have dificulty casting heavy and big flies...but remember,there are many ways to skin a cat!
C
PS..That river is Full today!

·
powell riverite
383 Posts
ya i just got a beulah 6/7 switch withthe elixer and love it, i have aloooooottttt to learn spey wise but my overheads getting better by the hour fishing, almost down to about 1 out fo 50 kicking cause of trying to muscle it to much.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
The 520 will be perfect for that rod...but even the Elixirs will have dificulty casting heavy and big flies...but remember,there are many ways to skin a cat!
C
PS..That river is Full today!
I was thinking about heading back to "that river" this weekend if my other half will let me without too much grief. Otherwise I might have to put in an early half of a day on the Stamp this weekend.

I'll take a serious think about that 520 after I get a new reel at the end of the month :D Hopefully I can find someone who wants to buy that Trion. It's just a bit too small for spey lines.

Any who, glad to head someone else is enjoying the 6/7 beulah and the elixer. One day I hope to be proudly casting that exact same setup :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts