BC Fly Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....I seem to have all the goodies for my float tube.....Now here is the next question...I'm in my float tube and hook the trout of a lifetime......What kind of net do I need so I don't harm the fish, but still can net it easily, and get a few pics? Long handle/short handle? what type of mesh is best so scale loss and trauma are kept to a mimimum?.......Thanks, Ortho.........

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use a net with a 4ft handle, its one of those wooden ones so it floats which is awsome and it has black cotton netting with the small holes. The mesh is soft and does minimal "damage" to the fish. Although the long handle gets in the way at times i find that the extra reach for landing a fish is worth putting up with its troubles, especially when using long leaders. Im sure some people might find short handle nets adequate but its one of those things you have to discover by yourself.

do an image search on google for "wooden nets" and i think you will understand what i use.

Hopfully that will help a little

fisher4life

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also recommend a wooden catch and release net with a medium length handle. Having a net that floats when fishing out of a float tube is invaluable. Most catch and release netting material these days appear to be very good at minimizing trauma to the fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm off to the store!.......In the background I hear the little voice saying "don't you have everything you need?"......Nope, I reply, I still need a landing net.."What's wrong with the one in the garage?" she says. Well, the one in the garage is.....ahhhh.....mmmmmmm old!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts