BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have been tying flies for a few months and I'm really enjoying it. Learning a new pattern is always fun and catching a fish on a fly you've done yourself is great. I figured I would post a few pictures of my work, I'm looking for any feedback or comments. Let me know what you think. Tips are much appreciated. Oh, and all of these flies are pretty basic but if anyone is interested in the recipe just let me know and I'll share it.

Woolly Bugger (black Leech)

leech1.JPG

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sea Run Dry Fly

searundry.JPG

And I just realized that the quality of these photos looks like **** so I'm going to take pictures with something better then an iphone and upload them soon. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sea Run Dry Fly

View attachment 3751

And I just realized that the quality of these photos looks like **** so I'm going to take pictures with something better then an iphone and upload them soon. Sorry about that.
Warning fly tying can cause an addiction. If you are just starting out it can be particularly hard as you may stop going to work. your beard might get long as you discover that this may take up too much time away from fishing or tying flies. lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, Ya I have realized how addictive fly tying can be. I like it almost as much as fishing. As for materials though I am pretty well set up and haven't spent much money. I got most of my things second hand from a family friend who has been tying for over 40 years. I'll post some more pics soon.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Warning fly tying can cause an addiction. If you are just starting out it can be particularly hard as you may stop going to work. your beard might get long as you discover that this may take up too much time away from fishing or tying flies. lol
Don't worry about the beard it will come in handy when you are running low on fly tying material.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay guys, So i got the good camera out and got some photos of my recent work.

IMG_6030.jpg

This first one is a damsel fly nypmh. I havent seen too many patterns similar to this so I like it. Works well too.

IMG_6032.jpg

Gold ribbed hairs ear. I'm not posotive Im tying this one right and I dont really like how it looks so any feedback would be appreciated.

IMG_6041.jpg

Small muddler. I tie this one with a little red thread right behind the gills. I suppose it could be taken as gills or a wound. Either way the fish seem to like it. I also tie this tied with green deer hair.

Any input would be great and if anyone is interested in the recipes just let me know.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'd say they look ok but if your just getting going the best way to get some very nice patterns is to follow proven patterns from some of the best tiers out there. For instance for wets i'd check out Hans' flies and for most flies in general Davie McPhail is great on You Tube. Also dont forget to check out John's Kents flies such as the Pumpkin Head. You've got a great start, I find that if it looks sorta buggy the trout will eat it:)

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Pay special attention to the dimensions of your fly. The tail on the hare's ear should be about as long as the hook gap is wide. It is also more common to tie it with a few deer hair strands for a tail.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Think pheasant tail and peacock herl for thorax and legs/tail. Prof makes a few good points there as far as proportions. Its easy for me to critique but make the same stupid mistakes over and over myself:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think your flies are looking pretty good. I've tied for over 40 years and if I can pass on a few words of advise it would be first to to always be thinking ahead to what your next procedure will be. What you are doing at the moment should be setting you up for what comes next. The second thing is to go sparse and by that I mean not to over-dress your patterns. Not that I see this in what you have shown but it can be a big mistake and we all still make it. Lastly spend some time and devour video from Youtube. Some of it gets a little boring as there's a few on there who seem to have a pretty broad view of their importance in the world but there's also a lot of very good techniques that you will learn and see in practice that you simply will not get in a book.

Keep at it! Practice techniques as you move along and don't try to set the world aflame. It will come and when you get to the point where you see a critter on the water and tie something to match it and it works there is no better feeling. Best of luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I checked out Dave Macphail's videos. They're pretty good, thank you for the recommendation. I Started out with the Adam's dry. I've read that it's one the best. Oh, and instead of muskrat fur I'm using grey llama dubbing that I got as a sampler from Kent at Canadian Llama. I'ts really nice to work with.
IMG_6287.jpg

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
SCF, those look really good. Your hackling on the one on the right looks a bit sparse, but it will fish, the other one is rally very nicely done. Pay attention to keeping your dubbing nice and smooth (rather than just twisting it on the thread, I prefer to use a dubbing loop on all my dry flies). Keep working at it, you've got a really good start.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot Prof! I really struggle with finishing off the hackle, i try so hard not to get too close to the head of the hook. I feel like its either really cramped or not enough. haha. oh well. Whats a dubbing loop?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts