BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i am having a tough time finding beads for pumpkin heads and wine killers etc.
where do you buy them and what sizes do you like for say sizes 10 and 12. my local fly shops don't have any and don't know when they will have them. i went to michaels crafts in kamloops and they only have 6/0(too big) and 11/0 which seem too small. any input would be greatly appreciated. i will be in the lower mainland next weekend so i could pick some up when i am down.

thanx again,

Brian

·
Registered
383 Posts
hey guys, i am having a tough time finding beads for pumpkin heads and wine killers etc.
where do you buy them and what sizes do you like for say sizes 10 and 12. my local fly shops don't have any and don't know when they will have them. i went to michaels crafts in kamloops and they only have 6/0(too big) and 11/0 which seem too small. any input would be greatly appreciated. i will be in the lower mainland next weekend so i could pick some up when i am down.

thanx again,

Brian
I have been ordering them from artbeads.com as 8mm sized seed beads - the ones with the silver lining

·
Registered
271 Posts
there is also a store called Beadworks. Or any other beading place should carry them. I like the 8/0 ones myself, which is the 8mm i assume LOL

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

thanx again,

Brian
Hey Brian,

Lansdowne Mall in Kamloops!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey Brian,

There is a beadworks outlet in the Aberdeen mall in Kamloops, on the upper level. Thats where I got mine. Cheeeeep too.

dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys. i don't remember seeing a beadworks in aberdeen when i was there a couple of days ago. i will keep my eyes open next time. i will check out landsdowne mall next time i am i 'loops john. i was at the powder keg today and phearless set me up with some red and orange in the sizes i was lookin for.
thanx again guys.

Brian

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Hey Brian,

Lansdowne Mall in Kamloops!
I think this would be your best bet, since John invented the fly.

I lucked out and grabbed a nice container of orange beads at Michaels in 8/0. The orange is darker than many of the pumpkinheads I see tied, but it's the best I've found in Kelowna. I'm relatively new to tying, so we'll see if I have some luck with them in June - although I've heard you can throw them to callibaetis hatches.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think this would be your best bet, since John invented the fly.

I lucked out and grabbed a nice container of orange beads at Michaels in 8/0. The orange is darker than many of the pumpkinheads I see tied, but it's the best I've found in Kelowna. I'm relatively new to tying, so we'll see if I have some luck with them in June - although I've heard you can throw them to callibaetis hatches.
Though it's only been in the stores for two years, the pumpkinhead is a continually evolving pattern since I first tied it in '03. There are still some unanswered questions like how important is the orange bead? I've had friends tie it with red beads and have the same success. Todd Oishi (Canadian Flyfishing Team) tells me he ties it with a 1/8th fluorescent orange bead for deepwater applications.

The store in Kamloops I have dealt with in the past is Bead Connections and, if the beads are in stock, they will mail out. They used to be across the street from Lansdowne Mall at 6th Ave. and Lansdowne but apparently they've moved inside the mall.

As far as callibaetis hatches go, I don't know why it works so well as it is twice now that I've lucked into monster hatches and the pattern has slayed them, once the olive and once the root beer, so go figure!

·
Registered
383 Posts
As far as callibaetis hatches go, I don't know why it works so well as it is twice now that I've lucked into monster hatches and the pattern has slayed them, once the olive and once the root beer, so go figure!
When fishing these hatches did you have a preference for the olive compared to the brown ones John, or
did you just try one or the other until it worked?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When fishing these hatches did you have a preference for the olive compared to the brown ones John, or
did you just try one or the other until it worked?
In the first case I had just developed the p/head and olive was all there was and the second time was last June and I had had success already that morning fishing root beers off the indicator. Knowing now what I do, if one colour wasn't working then I would switch colours but before last year I probably would've been more likely to switch up to a PTN or halfback instead of changing colours on the pumpkinhead.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey John, if you don't mind, could you pleeeease post the recipe for the rootbeer pumpkin head?
Thanx again,
Brian

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hey John, if you don't mind, could you pleeeease post the recipe for the rootbeer pumpkin head?
Thanx again,
Brian
Same as the original. Tail is burnt orange marabou from Stillwater Solutions and body is rusty brown rabbit dubbing with copper/green flash mixed in. You can always stop in at Nicola Valley Outdoors (Powderkeg) and look at it. I do believe they got a whack of 'em!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Okay okay, John how many variations of this fly is there ??

I was thinking of doing one with black body and red silver lined bead / red grizzly hackle. Would this make yet another variation ? :)

im curious how many colour variations you have with the orange/orange combo, and how many you have done with other colours of hackles like say red, chartruese, yellow or any other bright coloured hackles.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Okay okay, John how many variations of this fly is there ??

I was thinking of doing one with black body and red silver lined bead / red grizzly hackle. Would this make yet another variation ? :)

im curious how many colour variations you have with the orange/orange combo, and how many you have done with other colours of hackles like say red, chartruese, yellow or any other bright coloured hackles.
Many variations out there. Last year I had a day where I couldn't keep the 12-16" 'bows off so, getting bored, I kept changing up and ended up getting fish on 5 different variations. Got an e-mail from a friend on the Coast last night who slayed the cutties yesterday on the Chromie version that I had just sent him, red marabou tail, silver holo dubbing body, red hackle and red bead. There are two versions that brookies rip apart. Bright yellow/orange combo and the Mickey Finn variant which has a marabou tail of red and yellow, a body of yellow and red hackle and bead. I've caught walleye on a size 8 white and orange. The black/red you mentioned is an obvious winner when imitating leeches and I've seen maroon and orange in Logan Lake Flyshop. I think Fred mentioned a couple other variations floating around Merritt last year.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Many variations out there. Last year I had a day where I couldn't keep the 12-16" 'bows off so, getting bored, I kept changing up and ended up getting fish on 5 different variations. Got an e-mail from a friend on the Coast last night who slayed the cutties yesterday on the Chromie version that I had just sent him, red marabou tail, silver holo dubbing body, red hackle and red bead. There are two versions that brookies rip apart. Bright yellow/orange combo and the Mickey Finn variant which has a marabou tail of red and yellow, a body of yellow and red hackle and bead. I've caught walleye on a size 8 white and orange. The black/red you mentioned is an obvious winner when imitating leeches and I've seen maroon and orange in Logan Lake Flyshop. I think Fred mentioned a couple other variations floating around Merritt last year.
Would the larger as well as flashy ones be considered more as woolly bugger variants or PHd's? I just tied some up as per your red marabou tail with white as well as red crystal chenille and white grizzly hackle and was thinking they were just weird woollys to use as attractors. Also tied one using red lite bright dubbed in as a body that looks like it will be interesting to me if not the fish...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Red marabou tail, red krystal chenille and natural grizzly is the recipe for The Minnie Lake Special, a popular pattern around Merritt and a great pattern for Courtney. Feel free to call them whatever you like, afterall, isn't the Pumpkinhead a Woolly Bugger variant??

·
Registered
383 Posts
Right you are John. The name Minnie Lake Special was the one i was looking for as well. I had seen it on a forum and tied those from memory but forgot the name for it....memory is at times not as it used to be...

·
Registered
85 Posts
i don't remember seeing a beadworks in aberdeen when i was there a couple of days ago. i will keep my eyes open next time. i will check out landsdowne mall next time i am i 'loops john.
Brian
Brian , the name of the store is Bead Connections , and they are on the top floor at Aberdeen mall . Ask for Brenda , she will know exactly what you need .

John , the store moved away from downtown well over a year ago .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Brian , the name of the store is Bead Connections , and they are on the top floor at Aberdeen mall . Ask for Brenda , she will know exactly what you need .

John , the store moved away from downtown well over a year ago .
Ya, so did I! I am so out of touch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
John, I was wondering what the fly recipes were for the Brookie bright yellow/orange combo and the Walleye white/orange pumpkinheads.

ps. the original rocks...but we all know that.

thanks,

p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts