BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

beach fishing cutties

8K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  patches 
G
#1 ·
I am interested in beach fishing for sea run cutties as I realised I haven't ever really done much of it and it seems like I'm missing a good opportunity.
My question is about timing. The last couple of weeks I've fished off the oyster on the island a few times, but its been pretty slow. Am I right in thinking it should pick up through the summer?
Also, if anyone knows some other good cuttie spots on the island, it would be much appreciated, although I don't really expect anyone to give up their secret gems or anything
Thanks

#2 ·
I've only fished the Oyster estuary once and that was in August several years ago; hooked 3 or 4 as I recall but that was on light spinning gear.

The beaches that I fish start to show fish in April/May; for the past couple of years June has been a crackerjack month. The fish are almost certainly there. I like to fish the flood tide as it approaches high slack and keep moving around the beach-don't park in one spot. Keep your eyes peeled for jumpers. A jumping cutthroat is a catchable cutthroat and worth going after.

Good luck!

#4 ·
the study of sea runs.

yes thats very important what clarki said look for jumpers that means there moving and feeding actively . they travel in pods of fish any were between 3-8 fish . they very in size usually, with one being the largest leading the pack .you will catch the small ones fist most of the time . so if you move down the beach with an active school and get in front of them you will have a better chance of catching the biggest in the pod Powell river has some grate beaches to fish sea runs on ,if your headed this way drop me a line .i still have a few drafts of the sea run recovery plans and study by jim roberts who was the cutty bio for the lower mainland office till recently. but the study is grate if any body wants a copy i have some left .

#6 ·
yes thats very important what clarki said look for jumpers that means there moving and feeding actively . they travel in pods of fish any were between 3-8 fish . they very in size usually, with one being the largest leading the pack .you will catch the small ones fist most of the time . so if you move down the beach with an active school and get in front of them you will have a better chance of catching the biggest in the pod Powell river has some grate beaches to fish sea runs on ,if your headed this way drop me a line .i still have a few drafts of the sea run recovery plans and study by jim roberts who was the cutty bio for the lower mainland office till recently. but the study is grate if any body wants a copy i have some left .
Patches,

would love to check out a copy...would you put one in a plastic
bag for me and I'll grab it from you some morning once I'm out?

Thanks!

-Jared

#5 ·
interesting day

Fishing for sea-runs today. Tried my favorite beach, and didn't get anything, so we went somewhere else, didn't get anything, so went back to the first spot with only about an hour left to fish, this time they were back with a vengence though. Most interesting thing though was seeing a guy on a seaspan barge get his legs crushed between a piling and the barge. He was pretty hurt. (Actually really hurt, from the shouting it sounded like he lost his legs, it was pretty scary actually. I tried to see if they needed help, but they seemed too paniked and far away to pay attention. Hope he's alright.) On the plus side the fishing was hot. It was like bass fishing, they were tucked right up to the log booms.

#7 ·
beach fishing?

i tried today to hit some fish in the chuck. you can see the fish from the photos and film thati put up there are some nice fish on the way out to the beach . fish on the mend are aggressive and after only a week or two at sea they are putting on that coat of silver again . early morning it is calm and you can spot fish with ease . i am still waiting for that pull that i know is not a cutty,and sends my reel screaming, that moment when i realize that i have a salt water steelhead. has any body been beach fishing lately ?

:beerchug:

#10 ·
Crap

Crap man; I drifted over a small pod of Steelhead the other day,about a dozen and a few were over 20...I paddled like hell to come back but no dice..once they saw my mug...it was no deal...they scattered so quickly...absolutely invisible and dime bright! The Gold has had some nice fish as well but not nice to the fly guys...as you know,,this is one hard river for winters on the fly! Actually the best fishing has been in my own back yard,instead of driving for 3 hours I can walk for 15 minutes and be into several fish before the hour is out! when is a good time to come over...?
How is the situation with the escaped 'Bows?
Bute? Going to try to fly in next week....
C

#11 ·
things were slow today but have been good sense dec. i know what you mean about driving any ware . i have had the best year just on my home creek.and focusing on my home streams and lakes.biggest cutty todayin the lake was 21-22 but lost a nice fish that would have gone 7-10 lbs. the rainbows are every were and are spawning all over. we hooked one today that was white in the tale from spawning some where. its a real mess! the steelhead in the chuck sound sweet . to bad you could not hook up . its nice in the morning right now. high tied.

#12 ·
hot sea run action

sea runs are hot on the beach... fish leaving the rivers and are staying close in anticipation of the hoards of salmon fry on there way down . on the low tied i find fish in the estuary in any nice run just waiting. the next 2 months are hot....hot ...hot !

#13 ·
its on ! spring of 08

the beach is heating up ! the fish are mostly out of the river. a small percentage will get trapped for the summer and live on whats in stream. the cutts on the beach are gorging them selves and fishing small green sticklebacks and some of cliffs epoxy minnows has proven to be the hottest right now . If the fish are not on the surface slashing fry ,or on the high tied when fish seem to disappear ,try a clouser minnow in green and white with the red barbell eyes . This will get you down to where the fish are . remember to put it in there cruising zone ,well in front of a cruising pod if there the move .if 2 fish jump within a minute of each other the you can judge how fast the pod is moving by how far apart they were and how long it took for them to get there . some time they move fast!
If you are fishing a riping tied then its like the river .fish a dead drift,letting the tied pull your fly back into shore, they seem to like this more than a strip ,specifically on a fast tied when they are sitting in one spot in the currant .
watch your water for a moment before you fish, some times 5 minutes up high looking at the whole beach will show some fish that you could not see from down below . sea runs are a very special fish so make sure your d-barbed and handle with care .:beerchug:

good luck.......patches-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.