BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great day at the lake yesterday, decent fishing and great weather (a rarity in the past couple monthes). One of my ultimate fears came to fruition as well, I became locked in a battle of epic proportions with a loon over a fish.

It was around noon and I had been fishing a size 10 chromie at about 16 feet of water. I was looking forward to a relaxing day of fishing with the intention of releasing anything I caught. I had been working the area I was in for a half hour or so working different depths when I watched my indicator sink. I set the hook and began bringing it in, seeing I had a 16 inch rainbow on. He got to within 5 meters of my bellyboat when he spotted me and went for another run, which I let him do while palming my reel. All of a sudden the reel handle is spinning out of control bashing into my fingers and my rod is bent near the breaking point. Before I know it I'm deep, DEEP, into my backing and starting to soil in my waders. At the end of my line I see the resident loon surface with MY fish in it's mouth, despite the situation a laughable sight with the fish being nearly as big as the loon itself. Now I'm thinking "Oh my god, how do you get a fly out of a loons mouth??". Thankfully, mercifully the loon gave up trying to eat this oversized fish and let me bring him in. Needless to say the fish was beaten to hell and I ended up keeping the poor fella (eventually giving it to Steve Zissou).

Talk about a situation I never want to find myself in again!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I bet that was a fun fight, i would have personally chased that loon down afterwards and had a chat with him :D. I've had the same thing happen to me with otters and minks before, but never a loon, and in the end its all abou the fight not whats on the end of your line right.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Perhaps that was well worth the rush it gave you! That being said, they can at times be very aggressive over fish. An acquaintance even had one follow a fish into his boat...trying to get him out he came to realize they are pretty large birds...

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is awesome, those are the types of things that make fishing trips ones you never forget. I had a similar experience with an Osprey on the Harrison about 12 years ago. I was fishing out of a boat near the Harrison/Fraser River Confluence. I had a cutthroat take and it was quite a long way out. I was bringing it in when an osprey swooped down from a tree on the bank and grabbed my fish and started taking up into the air. It got about 10 ft out of the water when I gave it a yank and it came out of its claws. I ended up loosing the fish before I got it to the boat unfortunately so neither of us got the prize in the end.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
It was genuine comedy at its best.

Junkie had been saying that it wasn't a big fish and he was just going to bring it in and let it go, the next time I looked at him all I saw coming off his rod was hi-vis orange backing, to which I yelled "Holy %$&@#! You're into your backing!".

Needless to say, when I cleaned the fish, it had massive scoring along its back and sides from where the loon had been chomping on it.

The loon was pretty pissed that we had taken the fish and was barking at us for a good while afterwards. Then again, I did swing the net at him like a cheesed off viking...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Very same thing happened to me at Rampart a couple of years back. The thing that really irked me was that the loon stayed by my pontoon for the rest of the day and well into the next day as well. Having one of those black and white pirates cruising above and below the water in your immediate vicinity is a sure way to not catch anything else!

·
Registered
209 Posts
that loon is a pain in the ass. i just huck apples at the bugger. i dont hit it but i throw them beside him so it splashes him, that usualy scares him off for a while. and the best part is that apples float so you can eat your amo after you use it lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah be careful on "nospeakum" Lake there bman, that loon is a thieving gypsy!

For example.......

Went back there today. Same sort of situation, I get a hit and set the hook. I have the fish basically at my boat (a skinny 10-11 inches) holding onto my leader with one hand, there was about 3-4' in the water still. I had to do this because the monster hadn't popped my indicator and left about 14' uncontrollable leader. Out of nowhere I see a BIG flash of white in the water coming right the hell at me at what seemed to me at the time about mach 5. Suddenly images of a life or death struggle between myself and this ridiculous animal filled my head and I just pictured this loon bombing through the water at full speed right into my crotch as I tried to bring in this fish. I guess instinctively I let go of the line and tried to maneuver myself into the closest approximation of the fetal position one can attain in a belly boat. After a couple seconds I realized I didn't have a loon-sized hole through my waist, and I also didn't have a fish on the end of my line anymore. Sure enough the loon pops up a few meters away happily gorging his pilfered meal leaving me trembling in a mixture of shock and rage.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure bman360 was wondering what exactly I was whinging about on the other side of the lake there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
that dam loon made me lose at least a 3 pounder. could have even been 4 pounds.
i was fighting it for a loong time, then i saw it jump a bunch of times in a row, got a bunch of slack while it was jumping and i lost it. then the loon popped outa the water where the fish was jumping. i doubt it would go after a fish that big but i guess it spooked it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote : then i saw it jump a bunch of times in a row, got a bunch of slack while it was jumping and i lost it. then the loon popped outa the water where the fish was jumping. i doubt it would go after a fish that big but i guess it spooked it.

... Every fish moves to the beat of a different drummer.

·
Registered
513 Posts
At least your only dealing with an animal that is less than a 1/4 of you weight. I grew up fishing for Salmon in the ocean. I started seriously fishing when I was 8 or 9 (meaning I actually had an idea what I was doing). It took me till I was 13 to get a Salmon on the boat, as every time I would hook one of decent size my ol buddy Mr. seal would come by. I remember the last time my grandfather and I went out fishing. It was My dad, my grandfather and myself in the boat. I must have been 14 or 15 at the time. Between the 3 of use we hooked 7 Springs. It was the same story for each fish. Set the hook, horse it the boat as fast as you could, take a look at it and guess its weight, it would take a run and within 20-30 seconds a seal would grab it. We managed to chase one seal down with the boat and it dropped the fish only to have its friend come by and pick it up again. We felt bad about what was happening, as we only wanted to bring home one for dinner and let the rest go. With Mr. seal around we didn't have either luxury. I've even had a seal tow me around in a kayak for half and hour when I was fishing for pinks in front of Nile creek. Although he will never admit this, my younger brother was scared out of fishing at a young age because of a seal that almost pulled him over board. As a 5 year old he was playing a small salmon (couldn't have been more than 12") at the side of the boat with a trout rod and a lure that he had picked out. I remember seeing a seal that weighed more than 3 or 4 times his weight come cruising up from under the boat and grab his fish and start to pull him over. My dad quickly grabbed the back of his life jacket and puller him back. All my brother got from this experience was a terrible fright and a small salmon head.
Not trying to defend this loon, but atleast there aren't any freshwater seals in your area.

·
Registered
352 Posts
good stories lol. i just got back from hatheume lake a few days ago and had to deal with a few loons for 3 days almost all day wile chironi fishing. god dam things as soon as you set the hook on a fish, down goes the loons chasing after it. i'd stand up in my little 8 footer and watch them chase the fish around i only lost a couple of fish to him all of the bigger ones he couldnt handle he wouldnt just follow them around. i carried a handful of rocks each day to scare him off.

Seals of freshwater.

·
Registered
352 Posts
yea ive seen that video a few times haha. Ive never had a problem with those guys. and hope i never will, only from a distance :)

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Honestly, I don't know.

After a couple weekends up there I actually did look it up, but couldn't find regs saying clearly yes or clearly no.

As angry as he makes us, I think we just have to put up with it and then pray that an eagle gets hungry for loon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're right Steve , We have to put up with them. I checked regs and couldnt find any info either so I just dug a little deeper and found out they are protected and may not be hunted.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts