BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Hey I like that fly Crapster'...you might try taking a needle and stringing a stinger through the tail like we do for long leech patterns.....use some Firewire or similar and a Steelhead hook at the rear...
C

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
*Gets on soapbox*

I have to be honest and frank here, and, in advance, I apologize if that offends anyone.

While I applaud your creativity in designing this zonker salamander, I'm really unimpressed and disgusted with the attachment of a treble hook stinger in tandem with the original hook, and can't really bring myself to respect the fly in its current permutation/configuration.

Maybe I'm just being an elitist, but if we have an unlimited number of hooks, why don't we just start tying hand grenade flies?

... because the damage inflicted to smaller fish trying to take this fly and then getting foul hooked is enormous. As your fly stands right now, the treble hook will park itself in the gill plate or throat of the fish if you set the forward hook. If that fish is going in your cooler, then that's alright, but when it's a fish smaller than 13", that's a critical hit on their organ systems.

Leave treble hooks to crankbaits and swimbaits or other ocean lures/flies. There's a reason that fly fish only lakes do not allow treble hooks, and all streams are single barbless: fish in B.C. deserve better than to suffocate or bleed to death at the bottom of a lake.

Try modifying your strike technique or reducing the size of your fly if you're having difficulty setting the hook, it will make you a better angler and give you more respect in my books.

*Gets off soapbox*

·
Registered
671 Posts
*Gets on soapbox*

I have to be honest and frank here, and, in advance, I apologize if that offends anyone.

While I applaud your creativity in designing this zonker salamander, I'm really unimpressed and disgusted with the attachment of a treble hook stinger in tandem with the original hook, and can't really bring myself to respect the fly in its current permutation/configuration.

Maybe I'm just being an elitist, but if we have an unlimited number of hooks, why don't we just start tying hand grenade flies?

... because the damage inflicted to smaller fish trying to take this fly and then getting foul hooked is enormous. As your fly stands right now, the treble hook will park itself in the gill plate or throat of the fish if you set the forward hook. If that fish is going in your cooler, then that's alright, but when it's a fish smaller than 13", that's a critical hit on their organ systems.

Leave treble hooks to crankbaits and swimbaits or other ocean lures/flies. There's a reason that fly fish only lakes do not allow treble hooks, and all streams are single barbless: fish in B.C. deserve better than to suffocate or bleed to death at the bottom of a lake.

Try modifying your strike technique or reducing the size of your fly if you're having difficulty setting the hook, it will make you a better angler and give you more respect in my books.

*Gets off soapbox*
I think he said that he would take my recommendation on a stinger hook instead. But good points...I agree.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
you might try taking a needle and stringing a stinger through the tail like we do for long leech patterns.....

i did sew it threw the tail. ;). but i never used firewire or a steelhead hook. just 8 LB test. I admit when i caught the fish i was landing i was spinn casting with 2 splitshots. and the foam makes it float so u can make it go up and down threw the weeds, as soon as it goes down it comes back up if u jig it and space the weight right. they were all pretty decent fish biting it. I do agree about the stinger business even though i made it. but i think this thing is BADDASS. its like having a ninja weapon, with the stinger now. Only the bad guy is a fish and he wants to get hit. (by which i mean bite it and get reeled to shore) but wouldnt only a fish of a decent size bite somthing that big ?

I ll be respectfull to the fish ( I also made it for sh*** n giggles)

in all 3 pics there all different flies. the one with the fish dont hav a stinger. aside from that which legs do yall think would work better the legs on 1st? or second. i think the one with the knot in it looks better but without the knot theres more jiggle. what would look better to the fish ? probably the knot eh

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been camping for the last little while. I had 2 or 3 bites in 3 days of almost nonstop fishing. I was the only one to have the 2 or 3 bites on a horsfly pattern Iv yet to post. but the lake was highly popullated with salamanders and other small life. mostly salamanders. I think the fish can be very picky out there what they eat. I only seen 5 jump the whole time and i was watching close. does anyone know of a salamander pattern? I think i need somthing to simulate a wounded salamander. just so it looks slightly diff then the rest of them to get the attention. with a gimped leg or somthing.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts