BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been camping for the last little while. I had 2 or 3 bites in 3 days of almost nonstop fishing. I was the only one to have the 2 or 3 bites on a horsfly pattern Iv yet to post. but the lake was highly popullated with salamanders and other small life. mostly salamanders. I think the fish can be very picky out there what they eat. I only seen 5 jump the whole time and i was watching close. does anyone know of a salamander pattern? I think i need somthing to simulate a wounded salamander. just so it looks slightly diff then the rest of them to get the attention. with a gimped leg or somthing.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Trout are by and large insectivors. Larger trout will take larger food items such as smaller trout and fry. Salamanders are not a prefered food item, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they are toxic (poisonous) and trout stqay well away from them. While bservation of thelife forms in a given environment can lead you to some discoveries, observing the actual feeding habits of the trout will lkely be of even more benefit. Learn what trout actually eat, then try to imitate those life forms. Look at some tying books. Visit a few tying websites. Creative fly tying, while a great asset, often is useless if you can't channel it into a productive pattern.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats too bad because I just tied an AWSOME one ! I suppose if it dont catch fish I can name it the useless. here it is though

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Nice fly Crapsterface.
About 10 years ago or more I was fishing Lucky Lake here on the Island(Tofino side) after having a very stellar day landing large Cutties in the 24" range in that Lake. Several days later I went back to enjoy this bliss only to find barely a fish rising and rarely a hit on the good old standard flies I had used. as I was nearing the put in to leave for the day I suddenly was rewarded with a large Cuttie in the 20" range that looked a bit odd. Since the fishing was so poor I decided to keep that fish for Dinner...although looking a bit strange. When I opened it I found 5 Salamanders in it's gut all in the 4" length,partly decomposed..the meat had a distinct Orange colour as did the skin on the outside..yes I was leary to eat such a fish so I fed it back to nature! Ever since that day I was wanting to get back there,yet to do so until your questions. Your fly should work but I would take off the foam or perhaps have less foam... another good fly pattern similar to that fly is a tube fly with similar materials...
Thanks for the ideas
C

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. Ill take your suggestion about less foam there salar and see. I was thinking the top could hinder the wanted movemnt from the tail. I could just cut the top piece off and leave 1 black piece insteal of that fold sticking up there

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just tie in a rabbit zonker of about 5-7 inches in the colour of your choice at the head of an appropriate size hook. I have heard of lake cutties puking out salamanders cause they can`t fit any more in and yet they were still taking minnow flies with salamander tails sticking out their mouths :) When casting a bigger fly like that with a sink tip it`s also a good idea to have a sturdier rod in 7wt range.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay guys. the salamander works ! quite well as a matter of fact. but there is a prob with it. i only landed a few. I think whats going on is there bitting the tail. so im going to try stitching in a hook threw to the end of the tail. ( possibly small triple hook) and it just might add more movement to it aswell. but the triple might be to heavy. and im not sure what rabbit zonker is. I also thought of just tying on the long tail and dying the top black. and also im going to zap a gap my next one because the arms get stuck inside it. but it still works as is.

·
Registered
671 Posts
dont use a treble hook...those things are just messy. the set up you want is called a stinger. look up steelhead flies and you'll see what I mean. you just hang a single hook off the back using stiff mono tied onto the shank of main "body" hook. Once youre tied up, take some side cutters and remove the hook part of the body hook, leaving only the stinger.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
( possibly small triple hook) .
According to the regs, this no longer qualifies as an "artificial fly" and is not allowed in any stream, sloughs, or river in the province, or in fly fish or artificial fly fishing lakes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ok guys I got som pics of generation 2. still workin som trial and error. like how i want the legs, and were i want the stinger, what size line, how to get it on there well ... 1 thing for sure i tie them on number 1 hooks. the fish in the pic is 14 - 15 inches. lots were biting but missing the hook. and i just read what you said bron ill try that

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ever figure that you might have caught those or more with just the rabbit strip and leave the other paraphenalia off the fly? Never hurts to try something simpler.

·
Registered
671 Posts
well looks good! you may want to consider cheaper hooks for the body of the fly too...when I'm cutting the hook part off for stinger patterns like intruders, I use big stainless hooks just for the strength in the eye rather than partridge $tyle hook$...leave the stinger a typical carbon hook that can rust out if you happen to break off.
good luck

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i tied a couple. didnt try fishing with it. I htought these were more real looking with the lil yellow chest sticking out and th black back and the legs and stuff. I cought more then that one thats just the one i took a picture of. they were all 14 -15 range and a big one got off. I have a picture of the catch if yall like to see. we came out with our limit.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oky doke bron. i dont even know what an intruder is. ill hav to look them up and make a couple for som stinger fly xp

1 - 20 of 24 Posts