BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going crazy with the smoker and was wondering if Pinks turn out candied?

If so any good recipes/techniques out there specifically for pinks?

·
Whitewater Cowboy
119 Posts
I only have a Big Chief and it's hard to smoke things at a low enough temperature, except in the winter, to get the results I like for candied salmon. Most of mine turns out more like jerky, especially the pinks as the pieces don't tend to be thick enough to maintain enough moisture. There is a great recipe for dry brining in the Bistro section, I think... that is what I have been using. Makes great candy and jerky as far as I'm concerned. Chum is usually my favorite as they are bigger (thicker pieces) and later in the year when the weather is getting cooler and it's easier for me to make 'candy'. But, I do make alot of pinks into the jerky as it is always a hit. Better than Lays potato chips... bet ya can't eat just one!

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I use 50/50 salt to brown sugar, just pat on an thick layer to each fillet and let sit for ~24 hours in the fridge. Then rinse and let sit for ~ 1 hour while your smoker warms up. Do a brief smoke - 2 pans of chips, then leave in the smoker for 6-12 hours until desired dryness/moisture has been acheived. I usually do 6 hours total smoker time with 1 - 2 pans of chips, then I pop them in the oven at the lowest setting for ~ 2 hours to make sure I get the fish above ~150*F to make sure I've killed any parasites. I don't need any tape worms...

I'm going to mess with the mix and add some spices and perhaps something to add a little tang, but as long as you have ~50% brown sugar and leave it to sit for a minimum of 24 hours, it should be very sweet. Also, I've found that less smoke is often better than more...but that's just my taste.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey, I smoked mine from the Fraser last year. Followed the brining recipe on the 'Salmon University' web page, and then basted it with maple syrup after about an hour in the 'smoker' It was my first try at it, and I did it on my propane bbq which is blessed with a large hood. One burner on low on the right, fish and wood on the left (half the chips soaked, half dry), and left the lid up just a crack. Worked great, tasted fantastic. The Pinks were standard 4-5 lb size.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did mine from the Fraser last year in the Bradley. I used a dry brine of
3 parts Dark Brown Sugar to 1 part Pickling salt by volume.
I layered the mixture and the fish making sure that none of the
fillets were touching. Left in the fridge for 24 hours then rinsed
and let dry. Then I smoked using a mixture of apple and Cherry.
Turned out great. Every time I open a package it disappears.

Ross

1 - 6 of 6 Posts