BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
My favorite recipe is from "The Purity Cookbook":

A tea biscuit dough should be soft but not sticky. A little kneading improves the quality of the biscuits, but should be done with a gentle touch as too much handling tends to make them tough.

Tea Biscuits, BASIC RECIPE

Preheat oven to 450F
Blend or sift together
2 cups Pre-Sifted PURITY All-Purpose Flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Cut in finely
1/3 cup shortening
Add
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
Stir with a fork to make a soft dough.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll or pat to desired thickness, (biscuits will be doubled in height when baked). Cut out with a floured cutter.

Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet, close together for soft-sided biscuits or about 1″ apart for crusty-sided biscuits.
Bake in preheated 450F oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
Yield: 18 to 20 – 1 3/4″ biscuits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too have gone on the quest for the best biscuit and discovered that the ingredients are similar in most recipes, but the prep is the key. I use butter rather than shortening. Key to the butter is to freeze it and shred it. Sounds weird, but it works. The kneading 8-10 times is also key. Even if there is a little flour that is not mixed in it will be fine. It's hard not to mix it more, but trust it. 8-10 times that is it. Try using plain yogurt instead of milk, it adds a little extra taste. Also make sure your baking powder hasn't been sitting in the cupboard for ages.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Absolutely, if you knead it too much, you ruin the recipe. You can also use sour cream, just as you suggested with yogurt. You can also add cheddar cheese (or any hard cheese, really).

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
My three keys to really good biscuits are:
1.) Underkneading the dough.
- I will go as low as 6 to 8 times if the flour I'm using requires it.
2.) Frozen butterballs crushed.
- I keep a bag of butterballs in my freezer at 1tbsp a piece. They are easy for throwing into a pan or a recipe. For biscuits, I crush them down with a tenderizer into fines.
3.) Fresh baking powder.
- Buy a new container of baking powder if you have to, but don't use old crap.

I made some buttermilk biscuits a couple months ago that blew the socks of the old ladies parents. Some shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese puts a nice little ringer into the biscuit when you have them with a pat of butter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts