BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a question for you boys in BC...what time of the year are "Ants" favoured on trout waters.....

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
It depends on the area.

Where I grew up (Midway BC), there seemed to be a carpenter ant hatch in May during the first dry spell when temperatures got over 20C and it was sunny for a couple days in a row. You'd see this happen every few weeks sporadically into June. At higher elevations, there was a 2-3 week delay depending on how far into the hills you went.

On small streams, you could get good results fishing a big ant pattern nearly any time of year, even into september/october, but by that point, any big dark buggy fly seemed to work.

I wish I knew the timing for Van Isle - didnt notice anything yet this year.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well right now, where i am (shawnigan Lake) they seem to have started to hatch in numbers (my bed is getting a few visitors each night ) so i would think that right about now would be a great time to start tieing some up,.

Clayton

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well right now, where i am (shawnigan Lake) they seem to have started to hatch in numbers (my bed is getting a few visitors each night ) so i would think that right about now would be a great time to start tieing some up,.

Clayton
are you going to try and use them in the quarry, or is that place now out of bounds?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Im not familiar with the quarry actually, I'll be trying them in shallow by some of the parks where theres some big overhangs of bushes and such, but i havent heard of this quarry,

Clayton.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Im not familiar with the quarry actually, I'll be trying them in shallow by some of the parks where theres some big overhangs of bushes and such, but i havent heard of this quarry,

Clayton.
do U know where the underpass is on Cobble hill rd.,..as you are coming up from Cobble hill, going to Shawnigan Lake store..before you get to the RCMP station, it is on the right side of the road, the old train tracks used to go over there..I think there is a huge village of mobile homes there..that is the entrance to the quarry..Thain rd. is the name of the road.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A few weeks ago I was at Silverhope lake just outside of Hope, and there were flying ants everywhere on the water, but very little surface activity for them. There was also some sort of chironomid hatch, as I found lots of casings, but there was hardly any surface activity and nothing was interested in any of my offerings.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ok i know where you mean, im not sure if you can fish up there or not, but i googled it on the maps and looks to be of good size, I looked inline at the synopsis but didnt see anything about it, so i might have to make a trip up there and see if theres any signs posted.

Clayton

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
many changes huh?

Sign posts?..things must have changed drastically since I left the Island then, maybe that bloody 'fish farm' went under [hopefully], in any case please let me know......AW

·
Registered
424 Posts
AW tomorrow ill be heading up there, but does it have trout in it, because if it does ill bring my rod and tell you how the fishing is.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well...it still should have both cutties and rainbows,..on the west side of the quarry it is 25' deep..on the east side..150'..but I think that is where the fish farm is, if it still is there. Lots of dragons in that place, if I remember........good luck m8.....AW

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well i check out the quarry a few days ago with some friends, and didn't see a single fish or any rises but it was a little windy. The lake looks crystal clear and I did see the remains of an old building on the west side of the quarry. It would be very hard to fish in my opinion, very sudden drop offs and little casting room on shore, pluss the roads blocked so no boats can get in very easily.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
u could put a tube in, and u r right...sudden drop offs remember it was a limestone quarry at one time, so lots of steps before u hit the bottom...........AW

·
Registered
424 Posts
If only I had a tube I'd try, haha another reason to buy one tho and hopefully there are still fish in there, that would be a good spot to fish.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
It seems that a second round of ants is flying around parts of the North Island - lots in Zeballos today with all the heat!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Saw some very large flying ant near Nile Creek yesterday...going out tonight after work for some Trout fishing...off the beaches..
C

1 - 16 of 16 Posts