BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished a tom thumb tying marathon, replenishing my stock of them (most of which were ravaged on the kettle river). I "suffer" (lets call it a major inconvenience) from seasonal allergies, as well as from a plethora of other things. Namely grasses, pollen, certain animal hairs and the like.

After handling deer hair for a couple hours I notice that I become congested, and am liable to sneeze more than once. Pheasant rump gets to me sometimes too. I use seal fur dubbing quite a lot as well but do not notice symptoms (I'm sure it's not synthetic). Is anyone else littered with an over-active immune system? Allergic to certain materials? I'd like to know I'm not the only unfortunate freak in BC tying flies he's allergic to...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Good thread.

When I'm mixing dubbing for leeches I will cut rabbit of the hide to mix in and it takes no tying time at all to become stuffed up and congested. I also get no reaction to seal but I like to cut it with rabbit dubbing to improve it's dubbability! Some natural bird feathers like mallard affect me as well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank god, I'm not alone. I take anti-histamines pretty much daily as a precautionary measure from about mid-march through until august but even still it seems to do little against whatever is coming off that deer hair in a full frontal assault on my sinuses. I've never worked with hare or rabbit, but I'd imagine it'd affect me in the same way.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Elk and deer hair get me congested as well. I don't do too many tying marathons so I've never had a huge issue with it. Marabou gets me sometimes too, especially when I'm tying large Salmon flies such as popsicles or alasakbous.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dear hair makes me congested as well as causing dry and itchy eyes, after handeling the deer hair, Gotta wash my hands right of way or else I will rub my eyes with them and that just makes things worse.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I am lucky that I don't have any allergies, but my wife does. Do any of you use non-drowsy anti-histamines? Would it help to take maybe 1/2 a tab before a tying session?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I read of a fly tyer who, when he built a new and fancy desk, included a very quiet fan intake to withdraw air from his working area thus reducing his exposure to dust and other mites as well as dander that might be a cause for his allergenic reaction to tying flies with feathers and fur. I understood from his description that there were several levels of speed as well, and he used higher speeds while dubbing if there was more hair etc. flying around.

I am lucky in not having fuss about those things, however I felt it was worth passing this on in case it might seem a good idea to others.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I say Prof, I take anti-histamines (Reactine specifically) on a daily basis for half the year and I still react to the material's allergens. Whether or not this does anything to lessen the reaction I don't know but it helps my day-to-day hay-fever anyways. People seem to need to experiment with different kinds of anti-histamines before they find one that works for them. I've been through this myself and have settled on reactine as being the best for my situation.

Nebc, that's a great idea. I just need to raise the funds to build the tying table of my dreams.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
checking with the wife again, she only finds relief with medications containing loratadine as the active ingredient.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Allergies

Just found out I am allergic to deer hair, I was out deer hunting and we shot a deer, shortly after cleaning it I staerted to develop a pretty severe reaction, to what I thought may be grass. The whites of my eyes swelled, runny nose, itchy eyes, and hives on my face and neck. I walked back to the truck (about 3 km) quickly and dosed up with about 5 cloro-tripoli and it cleared up an about 3-4 hours.
Yesterday I was handling some deer hair and my eyes started to itch, took benadryl right away, and I was fine, but I am quite concerend this is going t oget worse. Does anybody have suggestions, I have heard all sorts of stuff, like go to a nururopath, doctor, ec. Yikes....:(

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
i would stay away....there has got to be a synthetic fiber that can be used as a substitute. Im allergic to everything but have just learned to put up with the symptoms, as bad as they are. I find that when they get bad i will just wash the face in cold water, helps the symptoms till the anti-histimine kicks in. Also, sunglasses help me with hayfever, maybe the lack of squinting? No fly tying problems yet but i havent used deer hair yet

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am currently in the thinking stages of building a tying desk and I really like the fan idea. I don't think that I have any allergies when it comes to tying but a friend of mine wears a surgical mask and says it really helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts