BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an opportunity to cast an Airflo Skagit today.
First time with these relatively new lines.
This rig was set up with Loop .038 running line.
First time casting with said rod.
I am an intermediate two handed caster and took to this line like a duck to water.
First cast was a washout. Didn't lift the line out all the way and a bad setup.
Second cast lazer!
Third cast, as above.
At this point I gave the rod back to the owner and mumbled something like " crap, now my line is going to feel like a piece of shite all day "
Guess what I am buying next!
After fishing mid/short bellys chopped back for tips, this feels like silk.
Comments?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not only easier to cast but an excellent winter steelhead fishing line. Will cast the heaviest tips and the biggest flies. I fish them frequently and enjoy it very much. Another thing u will realize is that after the day you won't feel fatigued at all because of the efficient compact style of casting with these lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
re Airflow

Just be carefull what generation of Airflow you buy.One of them is junk and comes apart.
I think if one deals with RIO Lines you will not go wrong-they have the knowledge-the filed testing and the pros behind them and remember JIM VINCENT really jump started Speyfishing.
Also--don't like your RIO-line--if you bought it with good intentions and exchange it for another one most shops have that program from RIO and you can do it without a prob.

--try that with your AIRFLOW

The "jist" of the article I supose was to PROMOTE AIRFLOW but lets get REEL--any Skagit will impress SPEYCASTERS especially those who can't Master the art.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What you are refering to DOC is the original Delta spey line. When that line first came out, it had a line bump to tell you where the hold point was and it was cracking at the bump. Then Airfo tried to fix it by removing the bump in their next batch of lines. That line when it came out had thicker running line which was not good people got turned off by the line! Their next batch they rectified the problem with a thinner running line, no cracks and very nice line to cast with a no stretch core. The Airflo skagit has had no cracking problems to date that I have noticed, as it is the skagit line I fish the most in the winter.

I also have many Rio lines and swear by most of them, single hand and some of the spey. Most of my experince with them is that they are very nice to cast. On the negative side; they dirty up fast, and crack frequently but like Doc says they take care of you with their warranty.

Rick

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The post was not meant to promote Airflo.
As I stated, it was the first time I had used this style of line.
In the situation I was fishing that day the skagit type line worked wonders on the heavy bugs I was chucking in the faster flows up top on the Vedder.
I also enjoy using mid and long belly lines when the situation warrants or the urge strikes me.
I am glad that my post encouraged you to share your thoughts with us.
Perhaps we will see you out giving some demos on mastering the art of speycasting at the next big speyclave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts