BC Fly Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was considering buying a Airflo [clear freshwater tactical ] line for the lakes.Has any one tried one?if so what do you think of them or would you recomend an other.I have a 444sl #3 / clear como #1 / these are great lines, the one Im replacing is a Rio #1 I find the memory on this line is better than my pc.I have never tried any Airflo lines before only there poly leaders .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had an airflo running line on my 8 wt. river rod with a loop to loop connector for shooting heads. It sucked. Casted like crap, bad memory, and the loop failed on the river after about 4 hours (on the Kitimat on a crazy fish day of all places). I salvaged the day with CA glue and light leader to bind the loop back together, then took that crappy line back and exchanged it on a Cortland running line. THAT line failed in it's third hour on the Thompson with a big mother spring on the other end, taking 20 ft. of shooting head with it! I mean the running line snapped. . . . left an end that looked like a speaker wire after the tip is stripped. I took that one back, and got an SA which has given me absolutely no probs. The guy at the local shop was nice enough to replace my shooting head as well, but when I asked him for my spring he wasn't as helpful!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sparky thanks for the replie.I know when I bought my 8wt line setup no one even mention Airflo,Rio multi tip system it was.I guess there is a reason why certin shops only handle certin lines from them.Your story is crazy, I would perfer to watch the line&backing strip and disapear off my reel.The shop should have offerd a little compo,like maybe all inclusive little trip to the DEAN !! :lol:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I use Airflo floating lines for my 4 and 5 weights (WF and DT) and have only the best experience with them. I also use a type 6 sinker with my 5 wt and love the way it casts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK, I have to ammend my previous comment/rant. I've been using an Airflo clear intermediate on my 8 wt and love it (I cut the loop off and attached my own braided mono loop!). Also have an Airflo clear int. on my 3 wt XP and love that too. Was comp'd another 8 wt running line but still don't like it- I'll continue to use my SA with shooting heads.

Sparky

H

·
0 Posts
If Airflo was the only company that built fly lines,I would go back to gear fishing---I would not buy another one of their lines if they put a $1.00 sale on---For me their after sales service is -----0000000

harley

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did pick up a 40+ 6 wt sink at the receiver sale at anglers west,once you lay out that first 35' feet it goes like a rocket.I was suprised of the feel of that line,it feels like cheap plastic its a little weird to the touch when you switch from a rio or s/a .It was on sale but still not cheap,Ill stick with s/a for my trout and my rio multi tip for the big guys. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think Airflo's clear int. monocore lines are the best out there. I'll never buy an SA clear monocore line again. Some of the Airflo's floating lines are pretty bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts