BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to use this floss for tying bloodworms, but the acetone (Nail Polish Remover) just turns the floss white. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

·
Registered
271 Posts
perhaps buying Acetone from the fly store will help. Nail polish remover has other ingredients for cleaning nails off, im fairly sure. I have used acetate floss before and have the proper acetone and it worked just fine.

you could also try using Uni-Floss as its already a little shiny and you wouldnt have to mess around with acetone ;)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
perhaps buying Acetone from the fly store will help. Nail polish remover has other ingredients for cleaning nails off, im fairly sure. I have used acetate floss before and have the proper acetone and it worked just fine.

you could also try using Uni-Floss as its already a little shiny and you wouldnt have to mess around with acetone ;)
Yes, acetone can also be found in the hardware stores, its very cheap and I have never had a problem with what you have discribed behemoth!! :) If I remember correctly it was like 5 bucks for a big can. Acetone also works great for cleaning the cork off your rods, makes it look brand new ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nail Polish remover has oils in it to protect the
hands Acetone will dry out the skin very fast.
Like Rick says go the hardware store, a life time
supplt for five bucks.

Ross

·
Registered
671 Posts
What am I missing here? Have I been using floss incorrectly all these years?? :doh:

What is the "correct" way to use acetate floss with acetone??

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
dip it

The idea is to tie the body of your fly with a rib and dip the body in acetone to "melt" the floss. It makes it hard and shiny and envelopes the rib.
Time is very short in the acetone.
After it has hardened, which happens very quickly, tie the thorax and rest of the fly if required.
You can do some neat things with it.
Use 1 strand tied in at front of fly. Tie rib in at butt, running the length of the fly. Wrap floss to butt and tie off with rib. Do not trim floss. Rib the fly forward and tie off. Now spiral floss forward in 1 thin layer covering rib. Make sure you twist the floss each turn to keep it laying flat and thin. Tie off.
Now dip the body in acetone and watch what happens.
The floss more or less melts off the rib and it looks like it is part of the body.
Different underbodies give you different effects as well.
Tinsel under thin floss then dipped is nice.

have fun and let's see some pics.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The idea is to tie the body of your fly with a rib and dip the body in acetone to "melt" the floss. It makes it hard and shiny and envelopes the rib.
Time is very short in the acetone.
After it has hardened, which happens very quickly, tie the thorax and rest of the fly if required.
You can do some neat things with it.
Use 1 strand tied in at front of fly. Tie rib in at butt, running the length of the fly. Wrap floss to butt and tie off with rib. Do not trim floss. Rib the fly forward and tie off. Now spiral floss forward in 1 thin layer covering rib. Make sure you twist the floss each turn to keep it laying flat and thin. Tie off.
Now dip the body in acetone and watch what happens.
The floss more or less melts off the rib and it looks like it is part of the body.
Different underbodies give you different effects as well.
Tinsel under thin floss then dipped is nice.

have fun and let's see some pics.
One of my hot little chronies that I used to tie for Pass was tied in this method with the exception I would thin out the floss to half the denier and wrap tan acetate floss over silver holographic flashabou which would basically create a "dirty" Chromie. Use silver or black wire rib and Bob's your uncle. I no longer tie with acetate floss as it is more of a pain. Now I just use tan scudback over the flashabou for the same effect.

As already mentioned acetone works great for thinning out Hard As Hull.

One final note: Most guys dip in acetone for too long. One or two seconds is plenty.

·
Registered
671 Posts
nice, I always wondered how people got that look. Has anyone tried it as the head of the fly? Would it work to get a nice glossy head on a spey?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Good call johnk.
I should have said equal to one strand of four strand floss to keep it thin.
Still fun.
I just like having way too many types of chironis.
Is there such a thing as too many chironis?
Oh yes, my friend there is definitely such a thing as too many! I don't think there is a material out there that I haven't tied chronies with and even some that weren't ever meant for flies. That is the nature of the beast for commercial tying, you gotta stay on top of new materials coming out all the time.

Anyone addicted to new materials definitely should NOT look at Hareline's website and definitely do NOT look at the grizzly krystal flash! It made me giddy to see so many new products!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts