BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, 60 Minutes (CBS) had a segment on Cuba’s Jardines de la Reina (Gardens of the Queen).
It featured their unspoiled coral reefs and Anderson Cooper diving to explore and photograph the
life that exists down there.
You can see the video on the following: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7392092n
Anderson Cooper talked about Avalon and had a conversation with one of the managers
There was a shot of the Tortuga floating lodge, and an angler in an Avalon skiff
catching, measuring and releasing a bonefish.
Andre even had Anderson Cooper feeding a Jotia out of his hand!
The focus of the program was the pristine and healthy condition of the reefs compared to reefs in
other locales.
Next time you visit Cuba, bring a snorkel!

·
Registered
77 Posts
A couple of years ago our group fished Jardines de la Reina and stayed on the Tortuga (Turtle). Highly recommended for bonefish and tarpon. We shared lodging with divers from Europe and they said it was spectacular. If anyone has any questions just drop me a line

As for our American cousins I do not think that they will lift the Helms Burton Act (Cuban Liberty and Democratic Solidarity (Libertad) Act of 1996) regardless of Anderson Cooper's fishing skills or the state of the reefs. There is too much impact on an already fragile US economy and trade with the rest of the Caribbean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
re Jardines de la Reina

A couple of years ago our group fished Jardines de la Reina and stayed on the Tortuga (Turtle). Highly recommended for bonefish and tarpon. We shared lodging with divers from Europe and they said it was spectacular. If anyone has any questions just drop me a line

As for our American cousins I do not think that they will lift the Helms Burton Act (Cuban Liberty and Democratic Solidarity (Libertad) Act of 1996) regardless of Anderson Cooper's fishing skills or the state of the reefs. There is too much impact on an already fragile US economy and trade with the rest of the Caribbean.
I have fished there.A couple of comments-I fished with several americans includin Bob Marriot[yes the reel maker].It is a nice spot but I took off on my own to explore and you will be sickened to find the beaches that are windward are covered in debris/garbage/plstic bottles etc for 15 feet up the beeches.The fishing was mediocre if you hve ben to some really good places.The good old Tortuga is a nice base and food is good but remember you are on a barge anchored in the mangoes-except when you go in the skiffs you don't get to walk the beeches.
Also Americans are going to Cuba all the time.All they have to do is fly out of Canada to Cuba and everything is kosher--mosto the guy's I fish with on these expensive trips are Americans.

Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts