BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you guys shoot this calibre for mule deer. If so, what loads or bullet wieghts do you prefer.
I am thinking of picking one up for my 14 year old step-son to shoot this fall. Any thoughts or exeriences with this round would greatly appreciated.
thanks again,

Brian

·
Registered
64 Posts
my dad used a 243 for most of his life for mule deer, moose and black bears and had great success. he never lost an animal with this caliber and he shot a lot of game with it. ya i doesnt hit like a big magnum but its perfect to learn on especially if your not in grizz country because you learn to place your shots and rely on skill instead of power. he used 85 grain speer bullets handloaded with IMR 4895 but most guys now will tell you to go with barnes in about that weight of bullet. he likes a softer bullet than barnes because it will expand a lot when placed in the vitals, and do huge damage. with that said you wont go wrong with barnes or any other premium bullet. it is not a great gun if you plan on shoulder shots. i love hunting for mule deer with a 243 and would not hesitate to recomend it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.