BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Monthly Fly Tying Challenge:

Ok everyone, starting in 2012 we’ll be trying something new here on FFBC, we’re going to have monthly fly tying challenges. Here is how it will work.

Each month will be hosted by one of our members. Members wishing to sign up to host a month will post a reply to this thread, I will populate the 2012 calendar with the names of these members, and the fly they wish to tie. This will be done on a first come first serve basis. The members hosting the challenge will, by the first of the month, post a new thread, with a step by step (or a video step by step if you’re so talented) of the fly they wanted to tie. The step by step should include a detailed list of materials, techniques and tools used, as well as any reasons why these materials and tools are preferred. If the host member would like, a brief history of the fly can be added at the end.

Once the new thread is completed, other members are encouraged to tie up their own versions of the fly, be it an exact replica or a variation that they fish. Pictures of these flies will be uploaded to the appropriate folder, and added to the current thread. A step by step is not necessary for these ties.

As always with threads, members are encouraged to engage in discussions on the fly, materials used, it’s applications in fishing, and anything else that relates to it.

I'll start us off.

January: BCBound, Woolly Bugger
February: Islandnewb, Dam Darner (Dragon Fly Acetate Nymph)
March: Blackgivesway2blue, Pheasant Tail Nymph
April: Professori, Deer Hair Emerger (Video SBS as well!!!)
May: JohnK, Wine Killer Leech
June: Kevin200100, Traditional Classic Salmon Fly tied on a blind eye hook
July: Coastrider, Doc Spratley
August:
September:
October:
November:
December:

Any questions feel free to fire away.

Reactions: Rick Baerg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Im in on this one for sure! Great idea BCBound Im sure theres goin to be some awesome ties!

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Liquid,

Kind of seen the idea done differently a few other places, liked it a lot. Should be good fun. I've been working on taking my photography to a new level, and was told to check out this site.

http://flyartstudio.com/wordpress/?p=56

Very cool, very easy, and very affordable.

Let me know if you want me to put you down for a specific month and fly.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So rethinking the Royal Coachman. Great fly, but not all that exciting. Stay tuned to see what I come up with, and if you have something you want to chuck into the mix, let me know. We need patterns!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Great work BCbound on this new community activity. I hope we will see some member support from our great group of tiers on FFBC, lets see some participation everyone. :)

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rick,

It should be good. I've had a few pm's with interest in tying, but no commitment to a specific month yet. All in good time, I think once the holiday madness settles down people will start to contribute. Now to get my photos in order ;)

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Alright,

I've settled on the Woolly Bugger. A pattern that has withstood the test of time. A pattern that can be fished for every species of fish out there.

I'll have the step by step postsed by January 1, 2012.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good Black, look forward to seeing it.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So there has been a pretty good response to the January MFTC, thanks to everyone who posted their version of the Woolly Bugger pattern. Still no takers on putting together a step by step for February, and if no body takes on the challenge I'll post a step by step of my UV Prawn. The pattern is tied almost exactly like a General Practitioner, with just a few slight modifications.

I've been using this fly, unweighted, to fish the slower / shallower tail outs on the Vedder. So far, no takers, but I'm sure that's more me then the fly ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm a little hesitant since I'm new and haven't tied for a while but if your stuck and looking I will tie a dragon, pheasanttail chronomid pupa or Idaho nymph... Let me know if you need me to and what your preference is if you do. If you do need me I will likely need some help inserting the pictures as you go step by step..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Any time you're in a bind, Scott, let me know. I've got the photos saved for the SBS I did a couple years ago on my mini rabbit strip leech and can usually put something together in a couple hours.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Islandnewb, johnk, thanks you guys.

Islandnewb, I got your PM, sorry for the delay. I have been able to get on periodically at work, but not with enough time to message back. When I get home tonight I'll fire you off a message, and get walk you through posting photos. The Woolly Bugger was my first SBS ever, so you should have a good time with yours, lots of fun.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds great Mav, next time I'm on the computer I'll put your name down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
BCB-I will do a Deer Hair Emerger for May. I will prepare a video s-b-s as well as photos of a few variations on the theme. This is a great fly and is really very easy to tie.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Prof, that's perfect. Thanks. Sorry for the delay, for some reason I missed this update entirely. Looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts