BC Fly Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Australian friend who will be visiting Canada from mid-June to mid-August this summer. He has purchased a camper van and is planning on spending the entire two months fly-fishing in B.C. and Alberta and perhaps down into Montana/Idaho/Wyoming.

He's asked me provide some suggestions as to an itinerary and while I've got a few ideas of my own, I thought I would throw this one out to the group.

So here goes: if you had nothing to do but fish from mid-June to mid-August and a camper van to live in, how would you spend these two months?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I am going on a drifting and wading vacation this summer. Starting in Kamloops we plan to float the Thompson. We then are going to Edmonton for a quick family vist, then float the Red Deer, move down and float the Bow in Calgary. Next to Lethbrige/Pincher Creek and the Oldman and Crowsnest Rivers (wading). Cross over into BC and fish/drift the Elk, Wigwam, St. Mary's and maybe a few others in the area. On to the Kettle and then up to the Kamloops area for some lakes with another couple. Finally back to the lower mainland with a stop at the Skagit (which I usually fish 8-10 times a season) Only have 3 weeks, but could easily stretch that out to 2 months.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2 months of straight fly fishing, that sounds like some kind of dream :D I don't even know where I'd start. I'd probably do alot of still water fishing and work my way north.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alberta also has a number of less-well known stillwater fisheries that can be spectacular. I would advise your friend to casually stop in to the various flyshops in the area and chat with the folks there to get some local tips and directions. Fishing without the mountains was different, but tying into some hogs makes a lifetime of memories.

K

·
0 Posts
one word....skeena

I would hit the skeena, its beautiful country, and he'd get to see wildlife at its finest

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't forget to spend a day or two in the Upper Pitt River to tie in to big sea-run bull trout on a single or double hander! Bergler guides up there and has a great new boat to take clients out in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fishing in Montana

Don't forget Montana and the Missouri river out side of Halter dam down through Craig. This is all above Helena, Montana. It is a Blue River stretch of river with thousands of trout taking Hoppers, caddis etc. Some of the best trout fishing in the states. There are rainbows and german browns and mostly 16 " plus and it is not uncommon to have a 50-70 fish day (catch and release). Bug hatches in the mornings are funnels of millions of bugs, and cadis in the evening so thick you breath them in. Been fishing this for the last 15-20 years now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts