left to right handed fly reels

Thread: left to right handed fly reels

Thanks

Default left to right handed fly reels

ok so newb question here but picks up a rod and reel combo today at the outdoor show havent done much fishin in the last couple years as hunting has taken up most of my time but figured id pick up a new rod . so i decided on a cheap rod/reel combo only problem is they had no more reels set up for right hand but the guy said i could switch it to right hand? Click here to enlarge some one help i took it apart and couldnt figure it out so i put it back together and everything still worked so i figured id stop before i really screwed somethin good

thanks
    and im sorry if this has been answered i searched with no luck

and its a Cortland GRX if that helps

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Mud dog

Knowing the brand of reel would help a lot. Or is it the same brand as the rod?

Here is what you need to do if the reel has a spring and pawl system. The pawl is a small metal piece inside the reel that looks like a small triangle. It will be held in with a spring which keeps the pawl in contact with the spool gear. The way it is set up now is for a right hand. Lift the spring on the other side holding down the other pawl, switch the pawl around so it is engaging the spool gear like the right side. Now take the right side pawl and swing it up out of the way so it disengages from the spool gear.

Basically you want the pawls to be reversed from the way you see them now...set up for a right handed wind. Take a digital picture before you do anything, so you have a reference to go back to. Now just reverse the whole setup and you have a lefty.
    Paul Jacobsen

Thanks

thanks, i stopped buy the hunting/fishing store after work and the guy told me the exact same thing and now my reel goes the way i want it...now for payday so i can buy some line and suchClick here to enlarge

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mud-dog27 Click here to enlarge
    thanks, i stopped buy the hunting/fishing store after work and the guy told me the exact same thing and now my reel goes the way i want it...now for payday so i can buy some line and suchClick here to enlarge
    An even easier trick is to learn to use it with a left hand retrieve. Click here to enlarge (I'm assuming you are right handed.) The leftr retrieve means yoounever have to switch hands after hooking a fish, you just keep the rod in the same hand you are casting with and handle the line and reel with your left hand. Click here to enlarge

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."-Harlan Ellison

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by professori Click here to enlarge
    An even easier trick is to learn to use it with a left hand retrieve. Click here to enlarge (I'm assuming you are right handed.) The leftr retrieve means yoounever have to switch hands after hooking a fish, you just keep the rod in the same hand you are casting with and handle the line and reel with your left hand. Click here to enlarge
    hmmm thats somethin that could be worth tryin out

Leech
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by professori Click here to enlarge

That sucks, spent nearly a year trying to get my land hand to do the right thing and never did....back to the man side for me!!!

9. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information