Whiffen Spit, Sooke?

Thread: Whiffen Spit, Sooke?

Chironomid
    Thanks

Default Whiffen Spit, Sooke?

Any one ever fish off Whiffen Spit in Sooke? I was out there yesterday, for a walk with my girlfriend. Looks like a great spot, all fish headed for the Sooke River have to pass that narrow point. Should be some beach fishing opportunities, though I didn't see anyone. Any info greatly appreciated.

cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Mayfly
    Thanks

I was near there yesterday as well. Trout fishing was good when I could keep the weeds off. The salmon have to go through that channel, but whether of not they hold there I don't know. Lots of seals seem to think it's worth hanging around there. Go for it! Let us know. In a few weeks there will be good salmon fishing elsewhere in the basin.

Chironomid
    Thanks

Just returned from exploring Billings Spit (which is the name for the area you're speaking of). There are lots of fish around - mostly chum, but some coho as well.
    Until there's enough rain to get the Sooke R. flowing, they'll likely continue to stage in the estuary. The seals will keep them nervous and difficult to hook.
    One fellow told me that some springs have gone up the river to no avail. Six seals had a good meal at the high tide mark.
    May the fish make you smile!

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Mayfly
    Thanks

There was nothing at Billings last weekend (except seals). A bit of rain makes a world of difference. Might have to give it a go. I guess the snaggers will be out there soon.Click here to enlarge I can't enjoy my fishing when I have to share the beach with AH's.

Mayfly
    Thanks

Checked it out at dawn. A few salmon flipping about but not tons. Had one solid tug and caught a couple of bull heads. After an hour I withdrew. On the way back to the car caught a glimpse of a tell tail dimple in a still back water, grabbed my 3wt out of the car and had an hour of some incredible cutty fishing. It was over as fast as it started. Pouring rain when I left.

Mayfly
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tackleman Click here to enlarge
    Until there's enough rain to get the Sooke R. flowing, they'll likely continue to stage in the estuary. The seals will keep them nervous and difficult to hook.
    All true. The rains have come and Sunday the estuary was hopping. Lots of Salmon, otters, seals and even a group of large sea lions. I've never seen seals so nervous before. They definately stayed out of the deep water when the lions showed up.

Very few fish hooked. Even the dude in gum boots and pajamas couldn't snag one. Heard some dude broke his rod on a chum. eh one_gun?

Chironomid
    Thanks

eroyd, yes, that dude was me!

10. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information