lois lake fish farm part 1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lois lake fish farm part 1

Thanks

Default lois lake fish farm part 1

we have a lake that some of you have come here to fish and one that is kinda special. this lake is being ruined by the fish farming industry as we speek. lois lake a damed lake that is the bottom to one of the 3 main drainages here.it is a big body of water that has lots of standing timber.it is also the last lake in the chain that feeds lower eagle river witch had a return of salmon earlier this year.
    (eagle rivers back) .the lake has several species of fish that are important to the fly fishing community . sticklebacks and sculpin are smaller bait fish in the lake and kokanee are the next size up. these are the species of concern here. they are the food source for what may be some of the worlds largest coastal cutthroat trout !
    X is a unknown number .ok ....fallow me on this one.
    there is only X amount of spawning grounds .
    X amount of food fish, eg. (kokanee) come from those spawning grounds .
    so only X amount of cutthroat will be able to eat and grow from these kokanee.
    this is the natural cycle of the lake...now...add Atlantic and pacific salmon to the lake and thousands of rainbows to the lake that come from a steelhead background. the lois lake farm due to pure negligents has "lost '' 1000s of these fish into the lake . the people that they get to work there are uneducated in the aquaculture industry...infact most have never had anything to do with fish at all and have no right to be working at a farm...but they like them that way.
    we are not talking about going up and catching some nice rainbows that got out of the farm .were talking 5-25 lb rainbows that are every were. all ends of the lake, you cant go any were with out catching a farm fish..
    you may think ''cool that sounds fun on the fly''? but what are they eating....?
    I am into hidden gold and silver

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Default lois lake fish farm part 2

kokanee,stickleback,sculpin,cronies,dragons,scuds, drys, leaches and on and on..basically all the food for the cutthroat is being eaten..im not joking or pumping this issue up more than need be.this lake is full of farm rainbows and you can't kill them and they limited the amount of salmon you can kill in a day!
    CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ! they limited the amount of an invasive species that we can get out of our world class cutthroat lake! so what can i do as a fisherman?
    well i called jim roberts the bio holding the cutthroat file at the time. he comes up and i explain to him the situation and show him the lay of the land and take him fishing. i broke his cutthroat recored 3 times in one day. he listened to my concerns of lois lake.they were as fallows ;
    1- will salmon and rainbows spawn and create wild populations in the lake?
    2- will they eat kokanee and other food sources of the natural fish species?
    3-will they move throughout the system and take habitat from the natural species?
    4-will they migrate to salt water given the opportunity?
    he was interested in these questions as well and the next time he came he brought aaron stodered the large lake bio with him and a bunch of minnow traps .we put traps in the feeder creeks and tried to catch a variety of baby fry to see if any salmon or rainbows showed up..we found baby salmon in a feeder creek after sampling only a small portion of the creeks feeding the lake.

Thanks

Default lois lake fish farm part-3

so what did this do for the situation? well i was right they were populating they creeks and this gave them more money to do more investigation.we did a full large lake assessment ..all kinds of stuff water temps and depth ,set gill nets and dissected fish . i learned lots from the 3 days we spent on the lake. we also caught farm fish in the nets , and right now this the data that we collected is being processed . more will come from this but the government is very slow as we all know. so who is responsible to watch out that this does not happen?
    mr Brian Barker is the "inspector" so i called him and told him about what was going on. he told me first that;
    ''no fish have escaped sense 1997 ''.
    ''if a escapement happens its between him and the farm and its not my concern''
    ''that he came here and there were no escaped fish and if i was going to push the issue that i should send him proof''
    it goes on and on he is as crooked as the industry so i talked with the boss..same thing...so i wrote this letter it goes as follows

Nathan Demeester <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello bill this is Nathan Demeester or as you know me patches . Im very involved in the fishery in Powell river. ,i am private fishery consultant , I do brood stock for the Chapman creek steelhead program ,as well as collect D.N.A samples for several biologists from bull trout and dollies/rainbows and cutthroat . I give my time all over our fishery to make sure my 2 boys have these trophy cutthroat that live here in OUR back country for years to come . i say this so that you know that what i speak of, does not come from a place of ignorance. My message today is to inform you that if we as a community do not get some kind of responsible agency to look out for the wild fish of Lois lake soon, then we will take it to a new level of media and action to protect the world class cutthroat fishing of this area. After mr barkers rude and unprofessional comments on the phone..and then a few conversations with you i now understand that your office does not have any interest in OUR back country , or these spacial fishery's or protecting them as we hired you to do..Many more fish have escaped sense we talked last, there was a huge escape in the last wind storm of 5 lb fish that are all over once again . The fish have now left the lake and entered the river below. witch was all resident trout water till now . They were caught in the salt water along the shore between Lois river mouth and Lang creek and have been caught in the first few pools of Lang. this is your offices job !If you can do your job then we will find some agency that will. Mr barker took an oath . thats on the net as public record .stop defending the farm and farmer and do your job. I had aaron stodered the large lake biologist hear last year and we did a full large lake assessment of Lois and found farm fish . The local takle shop is covered in pictures of these farm fish. My 5 and 9 year old catch them, so why does your office pretend that they are not there? THEY POSE A THREAT TO THE FISHERY . And now we have video , pictures ,data and a very pist off community . We have the 'friends of eagle river' and the Georgia striate alliance .Im going to put this story on every fishing site on the inter net and u tube. Im going to call up every favor ,debt ,and persons that can make a difference in this situation . I told you guys whats going on and its not my job to prove the incompetents of the farm or farmer. ITS YOUR OFFICES AND ITS TIME YOU DO! Im sending a copy of this letter to every one that has an interest . If you care to help this situation then i am hear to help you....if your interest is only that of the farm and farmer . then we will find an agency that will live up to there responsibility and we will protect whats ours. I have 2 boys mr harrower...and they WILL guide Lois lake when they grow up and they will be catching the largest coastal cutthroat in world .thats what
    i am leaving my boys....what would you have them fish [email protected] 604 487 0445
    Last edited by patches; April 10th, 2008 at 11:37 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Default lois lake fish farm part -4

so all by myself i have caused a **** storm in all agencies of our government . that's 1 stake holder in our fisheries. there are thousands of us and if we all call the right number and right the letter that needs to be written , we can make a difference in our fisheries ....OURS AND OUR CHILDREN'S FISHERIES ! thats my stand here in my community and i need help ! these fish have made it to the sea now and we have no idea what could happen ..they have been caught on the beach and in other streams and have moved into other lakes .if you would like more info please ask and if you have been here fishing, then put up pics and tell your stories of fishing on Lois .if you are coming to target these fish call me or p.m me first and ill help where i can ...if you would like to express your concerns then call the agency thats not doing its job...
    brian barker -fish farm inspector- 250-897-7550
    bill hower- bio' for the office250-897 7547

patches.....keepen it real... and in there face.:beerchug:

Thanks

Default Comox Fishers

It seems that many fishers are heading that way to not only catch these fish but to see first hand whats up...we have been dealing with this crap over here on the East Coast of the Island for 15 years now and have to be expertly diligent to maneuver about all the BS sent our way by the various agencies.Please keep me posted as to what is about to happen...we havae much experience to draw from
    C

Thanks

Default my dad

my dad and his buddy went for a drive in the back country yesterday and stopped along the lake and dad took some casts looking for a cutthroat ,and they caught a farm rainbow in 10 sec......and cast and fish and cast and fish they caught 7 fish in less than a hr and left...i herd yesterday that they lost 2 whole pens in the big storm....i can t believe this is happening to my lake..........i need help documenting this problem ... remember that salt water farms have the 53'' recommendations'', not rules ,to follow ..(like they work) this is one of the few fresh water farms that supply all the other farms with baby's...there are no 53 recommmendations for this farm....its fresh water....with Brian barker on there side they can do as they please..
    Last edited by patches; February 25th, 2008 at 07:51 AM.

Leech
    Thanks

Default please read

FYI read patches posts on this subject. You may believe that MOE is committed to protecting our aquatic ecosystems and ensuring preservation of our sport fishing opportunities in this incredible province. Read page 14 in the 2007/08 freshwater synopsis. This is good stuff pertaining to the control of invasive species. Why then are they allowing a commercial fish farm to pollute and release alien invasive species into a pristine wilderness lake system? There is a slimy algae substance and oil from undigested food and fish excrement floating around this lake and large numbers of farm fish escaping. The lake supports limited insects and invertebrates due to poor nutrients as is the case with most of our west coast lakes and rivers. Resident species have evolved to survive in these conditions. This lake chain supports resident kokanee and some of the largest cutthroat trout in the world. These alien rainbow/steelhead are throughout Lois lake and can easily spread throughout the whole chain. The farm also grows atlantics and coho. Native species cant compete with large numbers of introduced predators.
    These lakes are part of the world renowned Powell Lakes Canoe Route situated in a unique wilderness area close to the urban centers of B.C. This area deserves more than exploitation by these type of Commercial ventures. This is an aspect of the fish farm industry that no one hears about. If you have fished lois Lake and caught any of these fish please report by phoning 1 877 952-7277

Inactive
    Thanks

Hi Patches, would like to buy you a coffee and talk more about this K.

Over the last three years of Lois lake fishing, when out with my son he's spotted (as only a young boy exploring the shore line can) fish twice aimlessly bumping along in 3 feet of water. The last was just off shore from that big junk pile that includes that bus/trailer, and it was big, at least 5-8 lbs. Both fish definitely appeared to be cutthroat, dark and well spotted, with white/grey fungus patches (no pun intended) covering 20-40% of their body. It sadden us watching these native fish suffering like that.

Kev

Thanks

Default Photo of a Lois Lake Farmed fish I Found While Researching

Hi Patches,

I was researching information about Lois Lake and came across this pic:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3292292942/

Clearly an escapee as the dorsal shows some serious wear and tear.

-C

Salmonfly
    Thanks

hmmm, quite disturbing indeed.
    Keep us posted. If I can remember, I'll pass on these concerns to faculty at VIU's Fish & Aqua faculty as well.

Oh, and if you want to make a splash in the spring, there is a big conference for the AFS (American Fisheris Society) coming up. Perhaps a good place to as questions, get support etc. Their North Western groups is mostly BC, so don't be scared off by it's "American-ness".

Here's the basics on the conference:

The American Fisheries Society (AFS) is the world's oldest (started in 1870) and largest organization dedicated to strengthening the fisheries profession, advancing fisheries science, and conserving fisheries resources. Many people are familiar with the AFS journals such as Transactions of the American Fisheries Society and the North American Journal of Fisheries Management as a venue for publishing their high quality fisheries research work. However, the AFS is also involved in supporting numerous activities in North America and around the world. The upcoming Annual General meeting is to be held at the Vancouver Island Conference Center, Nanaimo, March 2-4 2010, and an introduction to the Parent Society meeting in Seattle 2011.

13. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information