BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

springs?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  patches 
#1 ·
any body ever target springs deep in the ocean? i guess you would need a super duper fast sink? there are lots of winters this year and guys are hitting them...just a thought..i would like a silver bright spring in feb. that would be killer.i just dont know if its possible with out a down rigger ?:beerchug:

#3 ·
but how deep

but how deep do you think is actually achievable. these fish are at 120 feet do you think that possible with the tides and all? i mean iv fished springs in the summer and fall in the chuck but winters.... it almost interests me ! next would be what would i fish.?..buckies and clousers i guess. any others you can think of?

#6 ·
Dude:
A freakin row boat in the salt chuck, flyfishing for big ass springs on the fly?

You are obviously a man that is looking for a challenge.

I remember a spring up in bella bella that we had to chase for 2 miles out as he was peeling line like a killer whale, and just when we caught up to him, snap goes the leader......

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

#7 ·
Kick Boats

well;
Fly fishermen are not known for their sensibility I'm sure,speaking for myself...over hte years we have targeted Springs off Nootka Island tied to the Kelp beds..oh,yeah ,we were in Kick Boats .. The best I have done off Nootka is 18 lbs..in Late July 2002 ,1999 landed a 34 lb plus spring off the Mouth of the Big Qualicum in a belly boat,45 minute fight ,took me about 1 mile off the shore. But feeder Springs...that would be a blast...Patches,off Middlelatch(?) or Kitty Coleman Beach in the Comox Area ,French Creek...but these fish are 90 -160 feet down! You will need Glo in the Dark Flashabou,Spinner blades, and maybe even scent!at those depths...Large bucktains of Polar Bear may do the trick...
Let me know

C

#8 · (Edited)
im stoked

ya sweet that sounds good thanks for the tips...where i would like to go is a fairly sheltered area. scotchford piont is very big and winer springs come through between the point and nelson island...its good water and you need not go far.i have a old 70s sweet action mooching blank being rebuilt into a double handle fly rod (i would not call it a spey...per say ) but its for chucking lead core in small wooded rivers for a big steelhead . sound weird but its going to be a killer little rod . i think that will work and im going to order the line phearless was talking about and give it a try.....would that not be sweet! ha ha :beerchug: thanks boys....for some reason catching salmon when every one is in the fall just does not do it for me but this....cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.