Good Day In Northern Alberta

Thread: Good Day In Northern Alberta

Mayfly
    making my home in Grande Prairie, Alberta
    Thanks

Default Good Day In Northern Alberta

I hit up a lake not to far from Grande Prairie that I know to have exclusively rainbow trout in it. When I got there, the weather was overcast with rain showers, about 15 degrees and the lake had a pretty extensive algae bloom happening. Not much on the surface, but the water was very green with floating algae.

I dragged around a black micro leech and after only one hit within 15 minutes of leaving shore, I headed to the upwind side of the lake. The algae wasn't as thick here, so I figured I'd keep at it a while longer. With all the algae, I guess I'd need something larger and easier to see in order to shake the fish up a a bit. I tied on a size 8 Knouff Lake Special and started fishing. In under 10 minutes I had my first fish to hand, a nice shiny rainbow, maybe 4 pounds or so. A quick picture and he swam off. Over the next hour, I got numerous hits and nibbles but was unable to connect. Finally I set up into another rainbow, this one a bit darker colored and around the same size. Another picture and a quick release and I was fishing again. The weather was picking up so I worked my way back to the boat launch and hooked yet another trout. This one let itself go about 20 feet from my pontoon boat.

All in all, not a bad day for this area. I'm glad there's good trout fishing like this not far from GP, as I'd go crazy with out it. Walleye and pike don't interest me the same way trout do. Click here to enlarge

Here's the two trout I brought to hand. If you look closely you can see the algae in the water and on the net.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruger For This Useful Post:

Coastrider (July 6th, 2013),flytech (July 6th, 2013),MoeJku (July 8th, 2013),Osprey78 (September 21st, 2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Leech
    Thanks

Nice work loos like a great catch.., the second one sure is funny looking though hey?

Mayfly
    Thanks

thanks. yeah, that guy had kind of a funny look on his face. "you caught me!? what the hell was that? you cheated!!"

Caddis
    Thanks

Ruger, nice place in the midst of those nasty pike. Sure is good you have a place you can enjoy while chasing the money.

Gary

Thanks

My guess is the more popular fish in the school told the ugly one to go ahead, take a nibble...those things are good to eat, they won't hurt you.
    "I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." – Roderick Haig-Brown

Stonefly
    Thanks

Which lake were you at Ruger? Have you fished Swan yet?

Mayfly
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by johnk Click here to enlarge
    Which lake were you at Ruger? Have you fished Swan yet?
    That was at Swan. Click here to enlarge

I've fished Swan and Spring so far. I'd like to get up to East Dollar next season. I've also spent some time, albeit unsuccessfully on the Wapiti and Little Smokey river systems.

Thanks

I've heard of a number pothole lakes around Grande Prairie that contain rainbows. Have you tried Moonshine? It had a blue/green algae warning at the start of Sept. but I've caught some nice Bows and Browns there a couple of years back. The Kakwa river has some good fishing also but lots of bears. The fishing is suppose to be pretty good up towards Grande Cache in the rivers. I had some great days 10 years ago on Pierre Grey Lakes.

Mayfly
    Thanks

I don't think I've ever heard of Moonshine. I'll have to look it up. I did a little fishing down towards Grande Cache a couple months back. More of a scouting trip but I found a couple nice spots and connected with a few smaller fish. I also hit the Kakwa at the park where Hwy 40 crosses it. Never did get much farther on that river though. Bears don't bother me at all, so maybe I'll spend some more time along there.

12. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information