Need suggestions for running line
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for running line

Thanks

Default Need suggestions for running line

Ok, got the rod & reel. It came with an airflow shooting head, now I need suggestions on running line. Rod is a Tfo Deercreek 5wt 11' . All or any advice would be great as there are so many choices. Maybe an explanation into the reasoning aswell. Cheers, Coast

Just to clear thinks up, its a 360 grain 30' scandi head

Last edited by Coastrider; June 4th, 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Info added

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Caddis
    Thanks

Hi Ed, if you want to save a buck just cut the head off an old single hand line and you'll have enough for a 5 weight switch. Some guys use mono for the summer. Or you can get rio slick shooter for cheap as well. Hope that helps.

Thanks

alright, im just gonna get a length of running line unless you think my 8wt rio versitip running line would work. Also, the poly leaders......can I just use the tips from my versitip line or should I go buy the poly leaders? Finding the poly leaders without driving all the way to visit C at Nile is a challenge. Found a couple of spey versileaders at gone fishing and got 1 12 ft intermediate sink. Might check wholesale and even just get the whole wallet of tips if they stock them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Chironomid
    Thanks

The Rio versitips that I own have quite a thick belly and back taper in the body so I wouldn't suggest using it. Choosing a running line is always a trade off. Generally, the thinner the material, the better the performance. That's why most competition casters use mono or something similar for their setups. The downside being it is less tactile and usually harder to manage (i.e. tangles). That might not be an issue if you're fishing in the summer and not shooting much line. In the winter, with gloves on and casting further distances, it could be. Personally, I like the thicker stuff such as Airflo Ridge and Steve Godshall's ELF line. It's nice to hold and doesn't tangle as much as slickshooter or other thinner lines.

The tips could work but it would be tougher with such a light head - depends how competent a caster you are. I'd suggest 10' poly leaders with a couple feet of tippet for best performance.

Thanks

well, I got my running line. Ended up with 100 yards of 20lb backing, 90 ft of 20lb airflo ridgeline running line and the airflo scandi head 360 grain, and it ALL fit on my Hardy Demon! Man it looks sweet all loaded and set onto the rod. Just a word to the wise, Wholesale now stocks Aitflo lines and trout/salmon polytips in 5 and 10 ft, minus the bunch I bought.Thanks for all the help, Ed

Caddis
    Thanks

great you're set up Ed... you may find that 360 scandi too much for that rod.... if so, let me know and you could try my 275.... maybe abit light but good to compare... I would think 300 would be bang on. Maybe keep a look out on speypages and get a used one cheap... or a 7 weight 40+. Having said all that... maybe you'll love the 360?lol. see you on the water one day!!

Thanks

Yeah ive got a 7wt 40+ on another spool, ill let ya know how it works out with the 360. Rod aaus up to 450 hrains on it

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Coastrider Click here to enlarge
    well, I got my running line. Ended up with 100 yards of 20lb backing, 90 ft of 20lb airflo ridgeline running line and the airflo scandi head 360 grain, and it ALL fit on my Hardy Demon! Man it looks sweet all loaded and set onto the rod. Just a word to the wise, Wholesale now stocks Aitflo lines and trout/salmon polytips in 5 and 10 ft, minus the bunch I bought.Thanks for all the help, Ed
    Bub1 is correct..the 360 might be a bit much for that rod Ed..normally a #5 switch likes in the 300 range..and it is commonly considered that a scandi head should be lighter considering it is likely being used for overhead work. Your running line is an excellent choice..however,if you are planning to do some serious fishing for big fish on a larger rod make sure you use a 30 lb. core running line,or something close...Trout polytips(the shorter versions in the 5' range) have a break strength normally 12 lbs. ,Salmon polytips are typically in the 24lb break range...this will do most of the work we need them to do..but if you need tougher polytips we have them up to 40 lb break rating..having stronger leaders can be disasterous to fly rods in the wrong hands..
    C

Thanks

Well, its what the guy sent with it so we will see. A spey lesson will most likely be in the works soon C. Im gonna try with the 360 and if it wont work I will have to take you up Bub. Thanks again guys

Caddis
    Thanks

Maybe the Spey day on the 17th(fathers day).

13. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information