MFTC April 2012-Deer Hair Emerger

Thread: MFTC April 2012-Deer Hair Emerger

Thanks

Default MFTC April 2012-Deer Hair Emerger

Okay, for April the Fly of the Month is the Deer Hair Emerger-more precisely Hans Weilenmann's Deer hair emerger 2.0. I have tied DHE's in the past, but I found Hans's tie a very easy and efficient way to get a great emerger. I will post a video before April 1, but thought I would get this step-by-step on here now. I have tied this as a green drake emerger, but by altering the body colours and size, you can effectively imitate any mayfly.
    Materials
    Hook- Mustad C49 size 12 (any scud hook will do in sizes 8 to 16)
    Thread- Brown UTC 70
    Trailing Shuck-A few strands of olive antron yarn (this is not called for in Hans' recipe, but I find trailing shucks greatly add to an emerger pattern)
    Thorax-Olive rabbit dubbing
    Wing-Deer hair
    Abdomen-Grey rabbit (with guard hairs)

Place hook in vise. Tie in olive antron at a spot just ahead of the hook point, and wrap thread well down the curve of the hook.
    Click here to enlarge

Make a thin dubbing noodle of olive rabbit and wind back up the hook to the antron tie-in point.

Click here to enlarge

Clean and stack a small bunch of deer hair (when the bunch is tightly twisted, it should be about the diameter of the hook eye) and measure it the length of the hook.

Click here to enlarge
    Tie wing in just above the hook point

Click here to enlarge

Use your scissors to hold the wing lat to the hook shank while you cut the butt ends at a sharp angle as close to the thread wraps as you can get.

Click here to enlarge

Stand wing up build a 4 or 5 wrap thread dam in front of it. Twist a noodle of grey rabbit dubbing onto your thread.

Click here to enlarge
    Wind the thorax on and whip finish

Click here to enlarge

To fish this fly use a good fly floatant on the wing and abdomen, only allowing the thorax to sink below the surface film. When the trout are keyed on green drakes, this fly will keep you busy. Even when they are taking duns off the surface, most trout can't seem to resist an emerger trapped in the surface film. Tie this in a size 14 or 16 with yellow thorax (I like Scintilla primrose) as a PMD, or use a grey or brown thorax For grey drakes and darker mays. Good luck and let's see how yours are turning out.

Last edited by professori; March 14th, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."-Harlan Ellison

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to professori For This Useful Post:

IslandNewb (March 19th, 2012),micman (April 9th, 2012),Rick Baerg (March 19th, 2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Scott
    Thanks

Looks great Prof. I've taken your advice on the pale yellow for the Skagit and have been tying up a few. I'll have to take a couple photos and get them onto the site. The one thing that I hadn't done was change the color at the abdomen. I'll have to start adding that to any future patterns.
    "It's a curious fact that estimated lengths and weights tend to make a fish larger than it really is!" Mike Maxwell, 'The Gilly'

Scott
    Thanks

I've finally gotten around to tying a few of these. Here's what I came up with Prof.

Click here to enlarge

Hook: Mustad C49S Caddis Curved Sz 14
    Thread: Tan Uni 8/0
    Body: 1/2 Yellow Seal Fur 1/2 Tan Simi Seal Dubbing
    Tail: Yello Antron
    Wings: Snow Shoe Hares Feet Natural Cream
    Throax: Grey Rabbit Dubbing

I decided to go with yellows and tans as I'm getting these ones ready for the Skagit. I'll have to tie up some olive and some grey ones as well. Fun pattern to tie.
    "It's a curious fact that estimated lengths and weights tend to make a fish larger than it really is!" Mike Maxwell, 'The Gilly'

6. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

https://youtu.be/wn-WIbi_5ck
    #fliesthatcatchfish
    Great fly. Once tried, you will fill a box with it and the SHE, Snowshoe Hair Emerger.
    "It's niced to be reminded that one cannot put a line in the water without tempting the unknown" Haig-Brown.

8. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information