I think I just got a rod

Thread: I think I just got a rod

Thanks

Default I think I just got a rod

So I have been looking for a begginer rod/setup for a little while now and I think I found one.
    I was considering buying a nice set up as I just sold a bike of mine and have some money, but what I realized from reading all the posts here and on other sites is before spending the big bucks TEST the rods!!! And as I have no idea how to spey cast I determined getting a less expensive rod for learning is a better route.
    So a friend has a connection that has some CND rods and the one I am picking up is the Expert 1510.
    Its a really long rod and heavy weight but I also thought that when I am ready to get the $$$ rod it will be somthing around the 13+ foot range and 7-8wt. This way I can keep this rod and not have two of the same setup.
    I have read fairly good reviews for this rod and for the price I am getting it would be hard to find a used rod of any quality for less.
    I am sure lots of people will say this is not ideal for our waters and such but I think it will be good for starting off and learning the art of spey casting. And then I can target some big springs in the future Click here to enlarge
    So hopefully by next year I will have some actual casting abilities and start attending spey days to test smaller rods and hopefully find that perfect rod for me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

10 years ago if you would say this I would agree...but today we have such better ideas of what can be a good starter...I know that rod very well.it is a nice rod....but think about the "name" on it...Expert.....!it is almost putting the cart before the horse...however,if you are going to use this on big waters and thats your idea then go for it...it is a big rod,needs a big reel and big line...slow down and have fun
    C
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by colchilibeck Click here to enlarge
    So I have been looking for a begginer rod/setup for a little while now and I think I found one.
    I was considering buying a nice set up as I just sold a bike of mine and have some money, but what I realized from reading all the posts here and on other sites is before spending the big bucks TEST the rods!!! And as I have no idea how to spey cast I determined getting a less expensive rod for learning is a better route.
    So a friend has a connection that has some CND rods and the one I am picking up is the Expert 1510.
    Its a really long rod and heavy weight but I also thought that when I am ready to get the $$$ rod it will be somthing around the 13+ foot range and 7-8wt. This way I can keep this rod and not have two of the same setup.
    I have read fairly good reviews for this rod and for the price I am getting it would be hard to find a used rod of any quality for less.
    I am sure lots of people will say this is not ideal for our waters and such but I think it will be good for starting off and learning the art of spey casting. And then I can target some big springs in the future Click here to enlarge
    So hopefully by next year I will have some actual casting abilities and start attending spey days to test smaller rods and hopefully find that perfect rod for me!

Thanks

The one thing every Review said with this rod is to Slow Down! Just like you were saying in the other posts salar! Slow is key, I am sure I will have to keep reminding myself that!
    By the way, my father just sold his car to the head of the Nile Creek Enhancement Society, I think his name was Ken?
    He took my dad and his girlfriend for a tour as she had never seen anything like it. They said they had a great time. He sounds like a nice guy and a cool project!

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Salmonfly
    Thanks

Ya, it is a very cool project! If you hang out on the beachs around Bowser, you might just run into a couple Nile Creek Enhancement people. They are always looking for more help, especially this time of year to do egg takes for the pinks.

7. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information