Places to fish around Grande Prairie?

Thread: Places to fish around Grande Prairie?

Mayfly
    making my home in Grande Prairie, Alberta
    Thanks

Default Places to fish around Grande Prairie?

i moved to Grande Prairie a couple months ago. so far, i've fished Swan Lake and Sturgeon Lake from shore. i did well at Swan picking up some decent bows on spoons. haven't touched a thing at Sturgeon. i don't have a boat here yet. gonna have to bring my pontoon boat up from Abbotsford at some point.

where are other good places to try? i'm mostly a trout fisherman, but am interested in walleye and pike. lakes are good, rivers are good. all the rivers are shot to **** right now though. is there anything in Bear Lake?

i have 3wt, 5wt and 8wt fly rods with all the fixing's, an ultra-light spinning rod (which i used at Swan, thanks to there being nowhere to back cast from shore), a mid-weight spinning rod and of course my salmon/steelhead weight level wind rod.
    Last edited by Ruger; June 19th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Mayfly
    Thanks

Never fished much around there, but there is an older sports shop south of the Mall and the owner knows all the places.

Inactive
    Thanks

I've fished in there a lot, with out giving you to much check out the smoky system.... that shold put you on the right track, you've got the Willamore just south west of you go to it and hit the rivers

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Inactive
    Thanks

Kakwa should be heating up soon....usually good from mid august into september, I'm in Edmonton but will be checking it out when I'm in GP during the week of August 22nd if I can find time outside of work hours. Its a work trip unfortunatly, but I usually have a rod or two with me. I use to live in Grande Cache so I know most the water Hinton to Grande Prairie pretty well. Including some Jems in your area.

For a quick fix have you tried the Grovedale trout pond Just of HWY 40??? LOts of gullible stocked trout, not huge but worth time if you need someplace shore fishable and close. Spring Lake towards beaverlodge is great too but you likely need a boat for best results and there are 6lb rainbows in Spring.

Thanks

Like the Grouch said.......Spring Lake is good for brookies as well as big RB's. Head to the weed beds to the left as you leave the boat launch, blast a brown Doc Spratley et al on a sink or sink tip line and hang on!!

Another great place is Two Lakes. The south lake is my favorite, as it contains cutties and rainbows. Purple seal bugger on a sink line usually does the trick.

Kakwa, great for grayling and bull trout.

PM me if you need details, I have spent a lot of time on them.

Cheers

BL

8. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information