Salt Water Coho Season...and more... on our door step
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt Water Coho Season...and more... on our door step

Thanks

Default Salt Water Coho Season...and more... on our door step

Well,with such a great fishery pushing at our doorstep that lasts for about 2 months we have put together a spectacular Single Hand fly rod special just for this. Approaching a Salt Water beach Coho fishery is a bit more complicated than many consider,the need for Distance,Stealth and fishing at various depths is too often overlooked and poorly understood.
    Our package includes a Snowbee 9' ,4pc,#9 Salt Water fly rod(very fast),coupled with a Snowbee salt water friendly Geo 790 reel, 100 yards of Vision 28lb. Dacspun backing, 100' of Vision .031 (30lb.) floating Running Line and 2 shooting heads..One is the Beulah Elixir 295 grain floating head to be fished with a polytip and the other is a Vision Shooting head with an Intermediate tip. This set-up will allow you fish in all weather conditions from soft glass smooth water to rolling waves where the fish are laying in the top 12" of wave.
    Regular retail for this package is $835......but until October 15th it will be on special to FFBC members for a smooth $600.00
    There will only be 4 in stock so make the move early...By the way..this is also a great Fresh Water Salmon fishing set-up with the bonus of being a Salt Water Friendly deal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'll be heading through on thursday or friday I hope, so I'll stop by and pick up that reel, I'll have to think about this setup though, the thought of coho sounds great and with 235 off, I'll have to take a look when im up if even to just look and admire Click here to enlarge
    Why do I spend more time tying flies than catching fish?

Inactive
    Thanks

Deleted........
    Last edited by Donn; September 14th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

The Coho have been slow to come in,there are fish about but not in concentrated numbers yet...we shall see what the next few weeks will bring...

Salmonfly
    Thanks

Ya, was out there today...all day. Split the day between Nile in the AM - no fish, some seals splashing...not even the bullheads were biting. Spent the PM at the Englishman - saw some fish trying to sneak in at high tide, but were really spooky and not at all interested in any offering big or small, flashy or dull.

Got a feeling that the recent rains that spiked the rivers for a day let in the few fish that were around, and now that it's been sunny and calm, the few fish not up the river are hard to find and spooky at best. Looks like more rain to come next week, but too much sun for the rest of this week. Let's hope more fish show up later on this weekend and that the wind picks up a bit... but not too much Click here to enlarge

Thanks

The Coho have shown up in good numbers off the beaches near Nile Creek...and some healthy sized fish to boot...I have spotted fish all the way from Salmon Point to the North to Nanoose Bay to the South...French Creek,The Mouth of the Englishman,Little Q, Parksville Bay,Brant Look-out , Buccanneer Bay,Deep Bay and many more locations are all worth a peek .
    The best fly to date this year has been a Green and White Epoxy Head Minnow Pattern..does this have something to do with the local bait fish colour and Sizes...you bet!
    You can keep 2 clipped fish daily

Salmonfly
    Thanks

Coho are certainly in off the Nile. Lots of jumpers in the early hours, but the fishing seemed to be hotter once the wind picked up.

Click here to enlarge

Mark has a fish on here with his spey set up. He certainly was pumping out massive casts with minimal effort.

Click here to enlarge

It seemed that all the fish beached were hatchery fish today. I also managed to pick one up on much lighter gear.

Click here to enlarge

I found that in the morning when things were flat, you had to be able to make a decent cast (more than 70ft with a soft landing) but once the wind came up and the surf got going, ankle deep wading and short 40-50ft casts were the ticket otherwise you were casting way over the fish and wasting time. It sure is a good rush to see a school through a wave, even more if one of those fish takes a turn toward your fly.

The first fish was caught at around 7am at high tide. I went back and got my fish at around 2pm at low tide. Chartreuse & white or green & white seemed to be the colours.

Thanks

Great Pics BTree! Well done

Salmonfly
    Thanks

Thanks,

Somewhat of a bias towards snowbee gear, but hey, it works pretty good! I just had a 5/6 wt and had more than enough backbone - not sure if a spey rod is needed unless you need to get out beyond 90ft or accidentally hook into a 20 pounder.

Anyone else getting out to the Nile Creek area?

Inactive
    Thanks

Unfortunately the weather this weekend isn't going to allow me to get down that way. I'd strangle myself trying to cast my 6wt in the winds we're going to get.

Hopefully next weekend, before I head to California.
    Fly fishing is not only a method to catch fish, but a state of mind.

13. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information