TFO Spey Rods?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFO Spey Rods?

Mayfly
    making my home in Grande Prairie, Alberta
    Thanks

Default TFO Spey Rods?

anyone here ever used the Temple Fork Outfitters spey rods? i really love their single handers (i'll fish with them before i use a Sage. lol). I would like to get into the spey game in the next year or two and am starting my research. what kind of lines match nicely with the TFO rods?

this would be a salmon/steelhead rod, most likely an 8 weight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I've never used a TFO spey before but I ran into a guy using one a couple days ago, and he seemed to love his. Most rod manufacturers seem to give you a recommendation on what lines match their rods. I would recommend looking for a spey casting instructor that has a couple TFO's on hand. That way you can take a casting lesson and get a feel for the rods and lines to match all at the same time. Hope this helps a little.

Leech
    Thanks

ive got the tfo deer creek #7 and love it. i think ive got a 520 grain skagit compact on there with some slick shooter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Inactive
    Thanks

I don't have a TFO but Sage 7wt with Rio windcutter versatip line I'd recommend that line as I also have one on my 9wt.....btw the 7wt sage is one of the best rods I've ever cast. The 9wt isn't even close....MHO

Thanks

i was gonna buy a TFO till i held a Snowbee Click here to enlarge now i got a 9ft #8 diamond and its GREAT

Leech
    Thanks

I've got an 8wt TFO Pro 12'6" that I've had for about a year now. I've been very happy with it but I've broken it twice. I snapped the cork butt off the first time out (didn't bother fixing this, just taped it up and carried on) and then recently broke the tip off while trying to wiggle a snag loose - I guess I just bent it at the exact wrong angle. Hard to comment on whether this is a systemic quality issue or whether I just bent it at the exact wrong angle at the exact wrong time. I'll guess I'll find out once I get it back from warranty.

I have a friend who fishes a Dragonfly 8wt 13" and he loves my rod in comparison to his. He's also broken his rod more times than I can count.

Mayfly
    making my home in Grande Prairie, Alberta
    Thanks

thanks for the info guys. i'll try to hook up with some people who have them once i get back and settled in after works is done. i would really like one for fall 2011 salmon fishing on the Skeena.

i'm not too worried about TFO breakage issues. i own two, and i've broken them each once. both times were clearly my fault. i've got a bunch of friends who exclusively fish with TFO and love them as well. yeah, i'm a little obsessed. lol.

Chironomid
    Thanks

I've got a TFO Professional Series 13'3 Skagit. Love this stick. Great value. I have a the Airflo compact skagit 570 with their ridgeline running line. I'm not an expert my any means (been spey casting for only a few years) but I can chuck it out there pretty well. T14 and weighted intruders regularly go for a ride with this setup.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the persuit of what is elusive but attainable. A perpetual series of occasions for hope." - Sir John Buchanan.

Chironomid
    Thanks

forgot to mention that I recently broke the butt off of it. Apoxyed it back on with a small wooden dowel inside the butt so that ain't happening again.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the persuit of what is elusive but attainable. A perpetual series of occasions for hope." - Sir John Buchanan.

Chironomid
    Thanks

I know, old thread, but was wondering what the outcome was. I'm almost a TFO guy exclusively ever since I got into the beach Coho and Bonefish/Barracuda game and was looking at getting into Speying within the next little while and was looking at TFO.

Any updates?

13. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information