The Sort of Trip Dreams are Made Of (Part II)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sort of Trip Dreams are Made Of (Part II)

Stonefly
    Thanks

Default The Sort of Trip Dreams are Made Of (Part II)

[Sidenote: When I was at Nicola Valley Outdoors two weeks ago, Fred and I talked about the new Rio Indicator line and after hearing Fred's claims I knew I didn't have to test cast it, I had to have one and let me tell you, if you fish indicators as frequently as I do, this line is awesome.]

By 6:15, after approximately 2 dozen fish, only two of which were under 3 lbs, my age, my shoulder and my neck told me that nine hours was too long to be on the water so one more 4 lb. bullet and I was done.
    Click here to enlarge

So as I turn around to pull up the bow anchor I catch a glimpse of this young fella trying to swim across the shoal of the lake behind me.
    Click here to enlarge

Being the moose lover/hunter I am, I let out a little bull grunt to get his attention.
    Click here to enlarge

So now I have his attention, I'll let out a lonely cow call and just as I snapped the photo his reaction made me wonder, "John, what did you just do?"
    Click here to enlarge

Lucky for me, he changed directions, swam to the shallows and just stood there staring at me! Just another creature that finds my ugly mug unsettling!

After a quick dinner, a campfire and getting tired of slapping the silly out of mosquitoes I retired to the tent about 10:30pm.

Thursday morning brought with it thunderheads to the east with an even brisker wind than the day before so no one has to slap me upside the head to make me realize there was some ugly weather coming. I broke camp and everything was packed in the truck by 9:30 so I jumped in the boat with the plan that I would fish until 2 pm or rain, whichever came first. Conditions were identical to the day before, caddis hatching, 6" chop and the fish at the exact same depth. Landed another 7 fish ranging from 3 lbs to 5 lbs. and by that time it was 1:30 and the ugly clouds were almost over top of me so I made my way to shore, unloaded the boat, loaded the truck and was gone by 2:00 pm.

So the plan didn't go without a hitch but it was all good. Planned to fish 3 full days and ended up only fishing a day and a half but that one day turned out to be one of the best days I've ever enjoyed and, guaranteed, landing all those fish will be fresh in my mind for a very long time BUT..... it is always the one that got away that implants in the memory for a lifetime.........or until I return and get another crack at the rainbow that dreams are made of.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Inactive
    Thanks

Exelent read JohnK!!

Leech
    Thanks

Great post, thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Esteban was Eaten! Steve Zissou's Avatar
    Thanks

John... you are an excellent storyteller!

I'm green with envy.

Inactive
    Thanks

Great story! That new Rio Indicator line is awesome tried it out for it's first time this weekend.

Thanks

Awesome story! I hope to be telling my own like that one day.

Stonefly
    Thanks

Now it all make sense to me, as to why you left BC, no crowds, great scenery and fishing like that, awesome. Click here to enlarge Thanks for sharing John. I cant wait for our moose trip this fall. Click here to enlarge

Mayfly
    Thanks

Good report JohnK.

Stonefly
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RickB Click here to enlarge
    Now it all make sense to me, as to why you left BC, no crowds, great scenery and fishing like that, awesome. Click here to enlarge Thanks for sharing John. I cant wait for our moose trip this fall. Click here to enlarge
    On the subject of moose, one part of the report I left out was on that Wednesday afternoon at 2:00 all of a sudden a calf moose started continuosly bawling in the bush to my left and I thought for sure a bear had hold of it but then I heard a "sploosh...sploosh" and looked behind me and a cow and other calf went running out of the shallows. I didn't even know they were there and apparently the bawling calf was just lost and couldn't find it's mama.

Enjoy your moose hunt as I sit here envious!

Thanks

Awsome read, sounds like it was quite a trip!

13. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information