Trout speys

Thread: Trout speys

Inactive
    Thanks

Default Trout speys

What`cha got ?
    Living in Kamloops , access to steelhead/salmon water is limited without significant travel , but there is trout water handy , which allows me to get on the water every month of the year except spring freshet time . So I fish trouters much more than I do my steelhead sticks . I have a 12 foot 3 weight Gary Anderson (really cool rod , as it converts to a 9 foot 4 weight single-hander) , and an Amundson 11 foot 3/4 . Both rods like the lightest , short scandi lines such as the Airflow compact scandi in either the 270 , or 300 grain configurations , or the 4/5 Rio AFS . Another line that rocks on both these sticks is the SA single hand skagit in 6 weight . Really looking forward to hucking big weighted sculpins on the T this summer with this line .

There are many manufacturers that are now producing the little lightweights that I`ve not tried .
    So , tell me about your set-ups .
    Please .

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Inactive
    Thanks

I run a Loomis Versa spey 5/6 12'6 with a 400 gr skagit or a 56 gravity point system line and I have a 5/6 echo 12'2 rod I really like...one hatch reel and one sage reel....

Salmonfly
    Thanks

Had the chance to cast a Beulah Platinum Spey 6wt matched up with an elixer (skandi taper) line. Felt like an amazing toy! Effortless - did some casting with my eyes closed and couldn't imagine anything any smoother. Price tag is a bit out of my range, and not sure I can fully appreciate the rod, but wonderful to experience. I could imagine this rod being ideal for trout and summer run steelhead. Probably more than enough power to handle coho as well, but certainly a deep bend on the rod and lively feel that would appreciate 16-18" trout.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Inactive
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by btree Click here to enlarge
    Had the chance to cast a Beulah Platinum Spey 6wt matched up with an elixer (skandi taper) line. Felt like an amazing toy! Effortless - did some casting with my eyes closed and couldn't imagine anything any smoother. Price tag is a bit out of my range, and not sure I can fully appreciate the rod, but wonderful to experience. I could imagine this rod being ideal for trout and summer run steelhead. Probably more than enough power to handle coho as well, but certainly a deep bend on the rod and lively feel that would appreciate 16-18" trout.
    The Beulah Platinum 11'7 5wt is a sweet rod here on the Bow, matched with either the Elixir or Tonic Head to turn over big streamers and 3 fly indicator rigs. I also really enjoy fishing my Snowbee Torridge 12'6 6/7 (now the Diamond) during the winter, I'll either run a Elixer 7/8 spey (for nymphing) or a Hardy Mach 1 Salmon 8wt for streamers. In the last couple of weeks, with the bows moving out for the spawn we've seen a lot of really big browns (20-25") move in, have caught quite a few of these fish either on a swung leach or our typical San Juan worm set up.

Colin
    Last edited by SalaR; April 20th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information