BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

Ruddocks

Tags
ice ruddocks
9K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  parbuster 
#1 ·
Ruddocks is ice free!

#8 ·
Actually the rates were doubled from last year but so what? From what I know it is one guy trying to supplement his mortgage by offering quality fishing for large trout on a lake that most days you're going to have to yourself. Instead you'd rather go to DLR that charges the same rod per day rate or more and has for the last few years. So go and enjoy yourself but keep in mind by complaining about the rate at Ruddock's on an Internet forum is going to affect their business and I don't believe they will miss yours. Personally, if I were going to put out that much coin to fish pay lakes I would choose the one that offers solitude and a wilderness experience that combined with quality fishing and an ambience that doesn't reflect a small city.

#16 ·
John I will apologize as well as I initially stirred the pot. I was mid way through organizing a group of pilots who wanted to start an annual fly in fishing adventure when I found out Ruddocks raised there rates. These guys are more into flying than fishing so $75 was acceptable to them but not $150. I have heard from Fred and apparently they limit the lake to 8 anglers which is good but doesn't work for us as we are up to 11 and growing.

#17 ·
Tinpusher,
Another option for you that may not work for a group your size unless half want to golf and half fish but one of my favourite private lakes is just outside Barriere on Boulder Mountain Road.

Tom and Carolyn Baird operate a cattle ranch and on their ranch is Posby Lake, a naturally reproducing impoundment that hasn't been stocked since World War II. It is a small lake and the attraction is when your group books a day there, the lake is yours alone for that day and the rate is or was $40 per rod per day. No accommodations or camping though they do have a 20' trailer they rent out overnight. For the most part you will run into fish of 3-5 lbs. but there are some hogs in there as well.

#20 ·
I've fished there a number of times this season and have fished other private lakes over the years. Most of you seem to have an aversion to pay money to fish and to each his own.

Take a look at the collection of rods, reels and flies you have, other fishing supplies, plus the boat and gas to drive to your favorite lake and suddenly $150 doesn't seem so bad.

Your parents probably said to you many times...."You get what you pay for". At Ruddocks you pay for and get wild fish that jump like crazy, bruisers that take you into the backing, 20+ fish a day with numerous fish over 24". My largest last trip was a 26 inch chrome bruiser that jumper 6 times, took me to the backing twice and gave me a nice cracked thumbnail (keep your kingers away from the reel you idiot!!) all on a 4 wt. A gorgeous setting, clear water and no crowds.

What's it worth? It's worth every penny I paid.

I'll be back over and over and over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.