Cherry Point Area Shore Fishing? Help

Thread: Cherry Point Area Shore Fishing? Help

Thanks

Default Cherry Point Area Shore Fishing? Help

Hey everyone, new to the forum and wasn't to sure on where i can fish from shore in the Cow bay area, I've heard good things about cherry point for the pinks, but am not exactly sure if there will even be a run this year and what to use. I have all the gear i need, I am just not to sure on what to target, where to fish and what to use.

What else is there that I can try to catch around here (new to the island), I've heard about the cutties but am not sure what to look for as far as how to catch 'em and where. Any info on what I can catch would be great, and any other info would be highly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time and can't wait to try and contribute to the forum and get great tips from a good sources of info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Caddis
    Thanks

Hey Troutman Clay I live in Cobble Hill so I'm fairly close to Cherry Point. I've only been here for a couple of years and I've only checked it out a couple of times and only fished it once. I was there about two years ago in early October and there was quite a few coho splashing around. I didn't have my fly rod with me but there was a guy fishing them in his float tube I was able to pick his brain for a bit. From what I saw the fish were to far out to fish while wading and the guy I talked to said they were only taking on a really fast retrive he said he had to be paddling as hard as he could and stripping his fly as fast as he could and then the coho would chase it down and attack. He was using bucktail and polar bear streamers. I heard its a good cuttie beach but the one time I fished it I had no luck it was to windy. I've been meaning to go out there all winter but the weather has been to nice and I always end up going mountain biking. I think if you go for cutties you just have to put in the time and hunt them down they ussually show themselves. Hope this helps
    Bead Head

Thanks

Thanks bead head great info and good advice, ill have to head out soon and try it out, test the new waters

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Inactive
    Thanks

i would like more info on this as well I live in duncan but have never tried salt casting

Salmonfly
    Thanks

The salt is like a big lake - if you are after cutties, look for them near river mouths. Another good thing to look for are gently sloping beaches with ~ fist sized stones and bivalves (shellfish). Areas dominated by sand or mud might not be the best places to look, as well as steep rocky shores. Try the usual classics like the mickey finn or a minnow or fry pattern, but spend more time looking for fish with your eyes than by casting. If fish are feeding, they will show some sign at the surface. Some days the beach you are fishing at will show nothing, and other days there will be lots of fish. If you dont see fish within 20-30 minutes, then move on to a new spot. It's a nice excuse to walk the beach. I dont pay much attention to the tide charts as far as feeding times go, but a little wave action helps stimulate the fish for some reason. Flat calm can be challenging, as can surf...I dont recommend surf unless you are into a different sport.

Soon, when the fry begin to emerge, say next month and then till may, try a fry pattern at the mouth of any stream.

Inactive
    Thanks

good info thanks keep this in mind

9. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information