BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

Spey rod?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Eric 
#1 ·
I have been a bate caster all my life. I brought a Sage 6 wt, with an Islander lx 3.4 reels, last year, thinking I would use it for lake fishing. I went on a trip to the Skeena River last year, first week in August, right after the springs closed. It was my first trip up there, so I took my 6 wt as a spar rod. In one 6-hour day I caught 6 northern Coho on that 6-wt fly rod. That day was a turning point; I want to get into fly-fishing. I released every fish caught on that trip, and it was the best fishing trips ever.

I want to fish up there in August or September, for Coho, and steel head. I think I want to buy a 9 wt? Here my question fellows, if you could only buy one fly rod, would one get a one hand 9 wt or a spey rod.

I am going to use that 6 wt on the pinks this year on the Fraser. I would like to try sockeye on a fly rod too, that would be a blast. I would sooner catch one sockeye on a fly rod than ten bottoms bouncing.

All this equipment cost a lot of money. The pros and cons on the two styles of fly-fishing, information would be appreciated.

#2 ·
if you are swinging a fly for salmon or steelhead, a two hander is the only way to go.
it's hard to get one rod for all situations, not only for flyfishing but for any kind of fishing.
but if i was getting into it again, i would look into anything in the 13'-14' rod in the 8-9wt rod.
you can go shorter or longer but when starting out it's alot easier to start out with a rod that isn't too short or too long.
After you decide on the kind of rod you get, then starts "what kind of line to get for the rod".
Another whole chapter.
if u are in the lower mainland you might want to check out micheal & young
's spey clave coming sat. you can try all kind of rods and lines, with free instructions and demo's.

good luck..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.