Spey / Centerpin Switch rod

Thread: Spey / Centerpin Switch rod

Leech
    Thanks

Default Spey / Centerpin Switch rod

I'm throwing out this idea to see if anyone has done this before or has any feedback.

I was thinking about building a Spey rod with Fuji TSG single foot guides that would double as a float rod. Perhaps a fixed reel seat or with slip rings?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what blank would be suitable for spey fishing on the west coast? I was thinking a Sage 8136-4 or a Z axis 9143-4?

I'm hoping this will stir up some discussion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Leech
    Thanks

Bump

No thoughts?

Stonefly
    Thanks

Well, it would be a nice Spey rod! Click here to enlarge I'm sure it would work as a centerpin rod but if are going to spend the money build it, why would you put cheap gear components on a beautiful "Spey Rod" Click here to enlarge ,13' 6" gear rod is a little much, no?
    Last edited by Rick Baerg; January 25th, 2007 at 01:10 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Leech
    Thanks

Then length is fine, in fact a longer rod helps to keep you line off the water. Our fellow fisherman out east on the great lakes will use rods up to 15' long.

I was at Freds and put there spey rod and centerpin gear rods next to each other and noticed the grips and reel seats are almost identical. So this is why I think I could kill two birds with one stone.

My concern is that adding the Fuji ceramic guides would add to much weight to the Spey rod and then adversely effect its casting ability.

Thanks

Default use good guides

There is no problem using a Two Hander as a centrepin rod and in some cases the other way around. Here on the Island it is necessary to be versatile and prepared... I recently used the Beulah 10'6 8/9 Switch rod with my Purist Centrepin...it worked well but i found that there wasn't enough muscle in the butt section to really appreciate the "pin". I have a Loop 11'6,built specifically for the pin and this works extremely well tooo.,Also built the Loop 13 Grey series for this combination and also find it very good. So,if you do this use very good components ,you might want to lengthen your butt section to suit your style.
    C

Stonefly
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jbarns Click here to enlarge
    Then length is fine, in fact a longer rod helps to keep you line off the water. Our fellow fisherman out east on the great lakes will use rods up to 15' long.
    Yes, you are correct they do use longer rods over there but the rods they use are noodle rods, much different than a spey rod! Im sure it would work for what you are going to use it for! Click here to enlarge

Thanks

Your plan will work fine. I grew up float fishing back in Ontario. My float rods were 12-14 feet long. I actually rebuilt one of my old GLoomis rods into a skagit rod a year ago. As it turns out the GLoomis Dredgers and eastern float rods have lots in common. A couple of years back my father and I spent a guided day on the Stamp. I don't have any float rods anymore so I threw my old centerpin on a Sage 7136 and it worked very well. The ceramic guides will be fine on your rod. The selection of which blank will really depend what you are looking for in both a float rod and a spey rod. Good Luck

10. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information