Cap. River Coho Questions

Thread: Cap. River Coho Questions

Salmonfly
    Thanks

Default Cap. River Coho Questions

My family used to hit the north shore water off ambleside west of the Capilano River estuary to catch Coho in late July or early August, but the last few times out we've been skunked.

I'm interested in getting back out there this summer either on the fly, or with the usual power-mooching or trolling.

Has anyone noticed if the Capilano Coho run is still as good as it's ever been? Or is it a run that is disappearing despite the hatchery, and has the run started to get later or earlier given that our summers are getting drier, so the fish must be changing when they start staging for the fall rains.

I'm looking at the around the full moon if it falls sometime between July 25th and August 5th.

Anyone fished for these ones much? I'm also looking for pinks in the Seymour estuary, or any beach fishing in West or North Van that is good from shore or a 12' tin boat while trolling.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Salmonfly
    Thanks

So, any one know anything about the Capilano River Coho that should arrive this summer?

Any one tried to catch these guys on the fly off the beachs / estuary under the Lions Gate Bridge?

ded heron

Default Cap exploits

When I lived downtown I used to fish the Cap one or two times a week throughout the summer on the fly. I would generally start looking after the first week in July. Most days fish could be seen rolling in the bay below the bridge. Quite often they would stay far from reach. What I found was they would do laps around the bay, only coming within striking distance for a few moments, then going about their route. This made for some rather frenzied casting when they would come around, sometimes connecting, most times a bunch of refusals. Time your arrival for low tide and stay until the tide pushes you off the point. All through the summer they will stage in the bay and wait for some water.
    Larger silver flies seem to be a little more effective at getting some attention. My favorite is comprised of silver polar chenile with a grey marabou wing with a blue schlappen collar, size 4 and up. I always used a floater and a long leader as when they were close on their lap, they were only a few yards off shore and close to the surface.
    The fishing was never super hot but the odd pull kept me coming back.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Salmonfly
    Thanks

Sounds good. I'll be in a tin boat with a 9.9 on it, so I'll be able to stay on top of them Click here to enlarge

I've also read some guide reports, and they sound encouraging.

Thanks for the info on the fly.

Chironomid
    Thanks

is there something around that area/spot that could target the coho from shore. i normally go every weekend to do bottom fishing and have seen them around ambleside at low tide coming in pretty close but still not close enough for flyfishing. just wondering if there was a spot that could get out to them without having to gear up in waders?

Salmonfly
    Thanks

I'm headed to the Cap. and West Van waters in search of Coho's. Dad was out there yesterday morning and didnt get any fish, but acouple tuggs. Likely using the usual flasher and hoochie.

I'll be doing the same, and/or trying it on the fly. If it rains and the water comes up a wee bit, I'll be on the river looking for them there.

Will post an update

Thanks

yeah i've gotten skunked on the cap many many times.

Thanks

Here is the info u are looking for. This may sound like a big lie but is totally true, I have many witnesses. I started flyfishing the Cap in the year 1986 from my homemade 7' punt with an electric motor. I have kept a fishing Log Book since 1982 and so I have the entries all there.

MY 1st season ( October only ) I caught 38 coho and 1 14lb spring all on a #4 Mickey Finn. That was accomplished in 7 trips over 8 days. Yeah, I hear ya, too hard to believe ! But its a fact.

So up to the end of 1990, I had taken 149 , all recorded in the Log. A few were taken on the Green Weenie, about 10.

Ya just anchor on the edge of the school and cast a sinking line using a simple medium speed 1 foot strip.

They will bite some days well and not others.

As for the # of fish, after 1990 we all noticed a major drop in the numbers of coho returning to the river.

Now for me its been many years since I flyfished there , having found a place another local river where I dont have to launch a boat every time.

I think I set a record for the # of coho caught in 8 days on fly as well as another record for my 4 fish limit in 20 mins. one morning ( 20 witnesses )

I totally love that ocean fishing in the tides from a punt and all the regulars knew who the hell I was, out there hooking em on the fly like that year after year.

Well, I was 20 years younger back then and I figured I had found Heaven on Earth !

And I did !

Ya had to be somewhat persistent and not go back to the herring or hardware like many of my fans did , the persistence and belief that the cohos would take the fly paid off bigtime for me.

Awesome memories to this very day !

Good luck and stay on the top of the fish for the real action.

Standard Mickey Finns with a tinsel body is all ya need.

11. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information