Pass Lake

Thread: Pass Lake

Leech
    Thanks

Default Pass Lake

Hi all, am new to stillwater fly and have been out to a number of local lakes to Kamloops. Pass lake is my closest and it's proving to be a difficult lake to catch on!

I've been trying bloodworms and leach patterns, recently switched to sinking line (IV) and have been at the right depth according to the depth finder....

Seems a whole lot like nymphing for browns! Wrong size, wrong presentation and it just doesn't work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Chironomid
    Thanks

You may just be relying on that fish finder a little too much. It will help you find fish but once you’ve found them you are far better off to experiment and find the depth that fish are feeding at rather than relying on where you see them on the depth finder. That sonar gives you zero indication of what those fish are doing. They may not be feeding there, they may just be fish hanging out. They may be lurking below the food and popping up to feed and slinking back down. They’re most likely going to be feeding when you find them in transition zones, deep to shallow with some good weed growth. If they are just poking around the depths it is unlikely they’ll be eating. Just keep changing and moving, you’ll get onto them. Change depths, change retrieve speed, change flys. If there are fish in an area and you go 10-15 mins without any action it is time for a change. A handful of casts into fish and then change. I’d change flies as a last resort. Depth and retrieve first. Good luck, hopefully it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chironomid
    Thanks

I should add that I have an easier time controlling depth in the shallow water down to somewhere in the 15’ area with a floating line, long leader and an indicator. Start deep, a foot or so off the bottom and work your indicator down the leader hanging the fly shallower and shallower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information